borders

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 100
Ellie 32 Posted: Mon, Aug 19 2013 12:04 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum and would like some help with a problem I am having.

I have made a quilt with a block at each corner that is at an angle.  I have three, 2" borders to  add to the top and I need some help figuring out how to put these borders on as I want to miter them where they join at the corners.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 12:40 PM

Welcome to the forum!!

I read this a few times and am not sure if I have understood what you are trying to do. Is the corner block "on point"?  Like this ?

If so then I would assemble the three borders then cut it at an angle. The angle, if the corner block is square, would be 45 degrees. If not can you include a picture of what you are trying to do?

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 1:00 PM

Wow, eparys, nice drawing!  If that is what she had in mind, it would test my abilities, too.  Good luck, Ellie!  Let us know how it turns out!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 100
Ellie 32 replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 4:40 PM

Hi eparys,  Thanks so much for your reply.  I'm new on this forum and I don't know how to post a picture of my quilt.  Could you walk me through it?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 100
Ellie 32 replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 4:55 PM

I have the top finished and am having problems with the borders.  I'm not even sure if they should be mitered.  I just thought they would look better.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,840
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 6:30 PM

Ellie

That is a gorgeous quilt.  I think the borders are mitered.   I would measure the long border, the end border, and then the edge of the block.   I would sew on the first borders and miter the ends.   Then I would do the same thing 2 more times.   Then add setting triangles for the corners.   Hope this helps and makes at least a little bit of sense.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 8:43 PM

Nana:

Ellie

That is a gorgeous quilt.  I think the borders are mitered.   I would measure the long border, the end border, and then the edge of the block.   I would sew on the first borders and miter the ends.   Then I would do the same thing 2 more times.   Then add setting triangles for the corners.   Hope this helps and makes at least a little bit of sense.

I agree with Nana - that is a beautiful quilt. I think I would however assemble the entire border then miter it as one. That way there is one continuous seam there in the border.  Either way it will be stunning!!

OBTW, I am saving this post so that I can play with this border treatment. 

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 9:24 PM

Beautiful quilt, Ellie!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,840
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 11:07 PM

Ellie

Normally I would miter all my borders at one time but the borders you are using doesn't stay 45degrees across all 3 borders.  I think you can do a 45 for each individual border but I am not even 100% sure of that.  But I do know that all three together won't miter at 45 degrees.   I think it is closer to 60 degrees just looking at the picture.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,671
Points 37,670
ls2116 replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 11:32 PM

Great job on quilt Ellie!  Love those colorful nine patch blocks too.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,362
Points 415,009
gini replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 2:03 AM

Ellie ,   Welcome to the group.  This is a beautiful qquilt

nana, it is just the angle of the picture.   All the borders are metered at the same angle.

ellie, this is easy.   Sew your border strips together, making them long enough to go clear to the end of the sides as if the opposing borders were there..    Sew an extra strip set to make the 4 corners.  Sew the borders on, stopping just short, 1/4 inch short of the end.   You will have lots of extra at both ends.  the border pieces at all four corners should overlap each other.   Iron the piece.  

Determine the degree of the angle with one of your rulers.  Cut both of the ends at one corner that degree, making sure you make the cut 1/4 inch out from the end.   From your extra strip set, cut one end on that same degree and stitch it to one border end.   At this point you have the, soon to be, corner wedge sewn on one side, and you will be able to lay it out on  the ironing board, press it again with the ends of borders overlaying each other.  Fold the loose edge of the corner wedge under until it aligns with the other border, and use your ruler to make sure it is at the correct angle.   You should be able to press a crease where the corner piece will be sewn.  I use the crease as a guide for stitching.   Don't forget the 1/4 inch seams on both ends when you're adjusting.

Another way of doing his is to make a template, or figure in your head how big the wedges need to be and cut them to size, then set them in.  This uses a lot less fabric, but takes a lt more thinking and figuring.

Good luck.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,027
Points 13,055

Wow Gini, great explanation. You must do your best in the wee hours of the morning!  LOL  got your days and nights mixed up or just a "morning" owl?  Hahaha. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,027
Points 13,055

Wow Gini, great explanation. You must do your best in the wee hours of the morning!  LOL  got your days and nights mixed up or just a "morning" owl?  Hahaha. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,362
Points 415,009
gini replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 10:50 AM

not so good maggie, i can't spell at that hour, then look at you you're up at 4 in the morning.  i didn't know there was such an hour. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use