Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,293
Points 29,240
Agnes Posted: Sat, Aug 17 2013 10:53 AM

What is actually being done to make it harder to have spam posted? This morning is absolutely unreal. There are more new spams than actual quilting topics. I belonged to another forum some years back where the same was happening. It didn't take them long to use a system that stopped it cold. Everyone's fear was that we would have to sign in each time but they managed it without having to go to that level. It's great you eventually remove it  but that is like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 1:24 PM

YES,

And while I appreciate members who are policing these spams and reporting them to Admin (thank you Frances), I feel strongly that should not be any members responsibility.  

Admin, you are making progress but this issue really need to be addressed too. This is a reoccurring (every weekend or often during the week) issue!

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,591
Points 75,975
Karla replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 6:54 PM

Yep, I think whenever Mandy has a day off, we get inundated with spam.  There's got to be away to block it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 8:26 PM

My husband belongs to an online woodworking club.  I asked him if he sees spam in his forums, and he said "Never - it's moderated."  I asked him how that works - does he have to wait a bit for his posts to appear online?  He said the first time a user posts, the message is sent to a moderator who checks to see if it is a legitimate woodworking message.  After that, your messages go up immediately because you're granted rights.

So in addition to hiring new techs to solve QCA's server problems, they should hire a moderator to check the legitimacy of new users.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,293
Points 29,240
Agnes replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 8:50 PM

Nancy--Thanks for your input. I have been on a number of quilting and cross stitch forums and my son(s) have theirs to do with welding, vehicles, etc. None have the problem that this forum has. One quilting forum, the one where Marge P and I first "met", had some issues with spam. Within a short period of complaints they went to a higher level of security and never another problem. When the owners of the forum were going to shut it down a few years ago most of us scattered in many different directions. For some reason that forum is still in existence but we know it is unattended. I checked it after my post earlier and there still is no spam.

Thanks to hovering too long on one of the spam headings I was going to have a virus downloaded. Of course, it is sitting on my harddrive to help slow the computer down. Thank goodness I have avast and it didn't open.  I'm about ready to find a new quilting group. Actually went scouting this afternoon.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 12:54 AM

Karla:

Yep, I think whenever Mandy has a day off, we get inundated with spam.  There's got to be away to block it.

It seems to me this is more than unusual...and not just on the weekends.  If you recall, there was at least one occasion when Mandy was at a quilting "event" when the site was "hijacked" in her absence...and that whole circumstance started during the week, not on the weekend.  

I have thought more than once that it is possible that someone close to QCA or Mandy is responsible or at least involved with this spamming.  

It just seems too ironic or too coincidental.

And I most definitely agree...new users should be approved before being allowed to post.  That would prevent a lot of these problems.  However, if QCA has only one person (Mandy) as a Moderator whenever she is unavailable  (perhaps for several days at a time) a person would have to wait for access.  Maybe that is OK.  

Agnes and Nancy, does that type of delay happen on the other forums you are familiar with?

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,504
Points 48,110
Frances replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 3:19 AM

I have to say this weekend seems to be really bad, i know we get more on a weekend than we do in the week but this weekend there seems to be loads.

It certainly does have an effect on me, after we had had that really bad lot one weekend when we had people posing as members and creating havoc all over the site one of them had introduced themselves and i had welcomed them, now im a bit more reluctant to welcome anybody on the site until they have put a few messages out there, i know thats bad but i cant help feeling that they might not be a quilter, and might be a malicious B******.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,293
Points 29,240
Agnes replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 10:36 AM

Donna B:
Agnes and Nancy, does that type of delay happen on the other forums you are familiar with?

I can't remember that there was any undue wait time, maybe an hour or so. Really no different than when you place online orders with some companies and they send you an email confirmation. It depends on demand in the system at the time. Don't forget we are in the technology age and a lot depends on the parameters in place. It's no different than telemarketing calls. Don't pick up on the first ring or two and you avoid most because more than one number is dialed at the same time and the first person to pick up is the "lucky" winner or whatever. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:11 AM

Frances:
after we had had that really bad lot one weekend when we had people posing as members and creating havoc all over the site one of them had introduced themselves and i had welcomed them, now im a bit more reluctant to welcome anybody on the site until they have put a few messages out there

Actually, I've slowed down on my welcoming of new members, too, not out of fear but because at least 50% of them post one time introducing themselves, and then they never post again.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 454
Points 7,250
Julienne replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:52 AM

MNnancy:

Frances:
after we had had that really bad lot one weekend when we had people posing as members and creating havoc all over the site one of them had introduced themselves and i had welcomed them, now im a bit more reluctant to welcome anybody on the site until they have put a few messages out there

Actually, I've slowed down on my welcoming of new members, too, not out of fear but because at least 50% of them post one time introducing themselves, and then they never post again.

It is getting to where I don't post unless I have seen my friends post now. And that is to each other. I don't feel comfy with everything that has been going on lately.  And I wonder just how much of this info is readable on the internet itself so are we even secure?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 12:03 PM

Julienne:

MNnancy:

Frances:

It is getting to where I don't post unless I have seen my friends post now. And that is to each other. I don't feel comfy with everything that has been going on lately.  And I wonder just how much of this info is readable on the internet itself so are we even secure?

Frances and Nancy, I too hold off on any welcoming until I see they are posting actual quilting messages.  You've each mentioned my major reasons.

Julienne, I believe pretty much everything on this site is available to the general public however a general welcome message isn't going to get you in much trouble. Unless you reveal your  full name, home phone # , address, ssn, passwords, etc. of course.

Winthrop, WA

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use