Top 10 Posters

Making squares to cut into triangles

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 130
1luv2quilt2 posted on Thu, Aug 15 2013 1:35 PM

I am new here. Just joined today. Hope I am doing this correctly. 

I want to take some 2-1/2 inch strips and cut them into 5-1/2 inch rectangles. Then I want to make a square to cut in half for 2 triangles to go on the short end and then make a square to cut into 2 triangles for the wide edge. How do I figure out what size square to make and then cut into the triangles?

I appreciate anyone's advice on this. 

thanks

Diane

Diane

from Tennessee

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
704 Posts
Points 13,730

Hi, Diane- welcome to the neighborhood!  My reference book says for finished size 2 1/2" to cut the square 3 3/8" then into HST.  For 5 1/2" finished size, cut the square 6 3/8".  But try those out first with scraps!  I don't know the formula for figuring that out-  it's been wa-a-ay too many years since geometry!  There's a great book called "All-in-one Quilter's Reference Tool" by Harriet Hargrave et al.  It has charts of all kinds of measurements. Let me know if those numbers worked for you.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 130

Thank you Carol. I have printed this off and will most definitely try it. I am working on a queen sized quilt right now for a customer to give to his wife for her birthday so it may be a while before I actually get to try it out. But once I get all my rows and sashing sewn together, I just might take a break and try this out too. I found a pattern where they took rectangles and put the triangles all the way around and made the squares and I thought why not try it on some jelly roll strips cut into rectangles. The pattern had a template and odd sized rectangle. I really appreciate the help and so glad to be a part of this group.

Diane

from Tennessee

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 4:46 PM

1luv2quilt2:
I want to take some 2-1/2 inch strips and cut them into 5-1/2 inch rectangles. Then I want to make a square to cut in half for 2 triangles to go on the short end and then make a square to cut into 2 triangles for the wide edge.

Are you wanting HST's (half square triangles) for the sides. A 2 1/2 x 5 1/2" piece will be 2 x 5" when it is sewn in the quilt. For a HST that finishes at 2" you would cut a square 2 7/8" and for a HST that finishes at 5" you would cut your square 5 7/8"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Answered (Not Verified) Nana replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 7:19 PM
Suggested by Denise Smart

I would cut mine the same as Jacy.   I think the measurements Carol gave are more for 1/4 square triangle blocks.  To make HSTs you add 7/8" to the finished size of your square.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
704 Posts
Points 13,730

The measurements I gave were just wrong. They were for 2 1/2" and 5 1/2" finished size. I can't believe I actually even typed "finished" in my reply!  Well, I should believe it-   It's written right there!  Sorry for giving wrong info.

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 130

No, I am not wanting half square triangles. I am just wanting to make a square and cut it in half diagonally and have 2 triangles to put on the short ends, the 2-1/2 inch end and then make a square and cut it in half and be able to sew it to the 5-1/2 inch side and then I will have a square and it will look like a rectangle inside a square. 

Diane

from Tennessee

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 130

When I think of half square triangles, I think of two fabrics that are cut the same size into a square, sewn across diagonally, cut in two and I have 2 half square triangles.

Diane

from Tennessee

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 130

The name of the quilt pattern that I want mine to look like is called "Scrappy Crossings" but I want to use my Jelly Roll instead of cutting fabric the size the the template they give. 

Diane

from Tennessee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 6:10 PM

OK, I think I know now what you are wanting, a block like this

To cut a square in half it is an odd measurement. You can cut a 6 1/4" square and a 3 1/4" square and cut them into 1/4 square triangles which will look like this

This gives you a 5 1/2" block, 5" when it is finished.

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 130

Thanks so much, Jacy. That is exactly what I am looking for. I tried to reply from my email at yahoo but don't think it went through. Not sure. I really appreciate this and sorry it took me so long to describe what I really needed.

Diane

from Tennessee

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use