Cutting board warped

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
506 Posts
Points 7,955
Joyce posted on Mon, Aug 5 2013 9:46 PM

Does anyone know how to get a cutting board flat again?  I don't know if I ironed on mine unintentionally or it was too cold.  It has a big raised spot on one side I tried putting something heavy on it and that didn't work.  Any ideals will be appreciated.

Joyce

maryland

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,704 Posts
Points 436,445
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 5 2013 9:47 PM

Joyce

Some people say that putting the cutting board on a flat surface in the sun will flatten them back out.  Good luck.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,687 Posts
Points 29,115

I have heard the same thing that Nana heard. Just place it on a flat surface in the heat of the sun. I haven't tried it though.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
111 Posts
Points 2,565

How big is your board? I brought my big one to a guild event, left it in the car too long and it ended up warped. I NEVER got it flat again tried the sun, tried putting it in the car flat with something heavy on top ...  etc. Finally,. I cut it up to a size that I could put in the oven. 

Here is what I did at about 7PM one night:

1) place the cutting mat piece between two cookie sheets  2) Put in the oven 3) Put a cast iron skillet on top 4) Turn on the oven to 250 degrees 5) Bring oven up to temp and bake for an hour 6) turn off oven and let sit unopened overnight

In the morning the piece was flat and usable  

Good luck

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,843 Posts
Points 85,675

eparys:
I cut it up to a size that I could put in the oven

Weren't there toxic fumes?? It didn't melt?? Sounds kinda dangerous to me.

Sukochi

Top 500 Contributor
Female
111 Posts
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 11:28 AM

It did not smell to me - and it did not melt. I looked back at my notes and this is what I actually wrote for myself

- cut a 9 X 12 piece out of the warped mat and placed it with aluminum foil on either side between two cookie sheets in cold oven. On top of the cookie sheets I put 2 cast iron skillets. I turned the oven on to 200 degrees. I allowed the oven to heat and then "cooked" the "sandwich" after the oven reached temperature for 30 minutes. I then turned the oven OFF and did not remove the "sandwich" until the oven was COMPLETELY cold.

So it should have read 200 degrees not what I wrote in my first reply. I have done this several times and it works just fine. Just one note - it is a bit stiffer after the baking process but it is flat and usable. I have never checked the printed lines on the board to see if they are still at 1" intervals because for me I very rarely use them. 

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 50 Contributor
2,629 Posts
Points 36,935

I wrote a long story earlier on but it didn't post?  short of it is couldn't fix mine and its headed to the garage for use there.  Buy  a new one.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
1 Posts
Points 5
linda replied on Thu, Aug 15 2013 10:58 AM

Soak in tub, scrub loose threads out, set in sun on a flat surface, setting something heavier on the bump and anywhere else needed.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use