Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 184 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 182 183 184 185 186 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,650 Replies | 68 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,656
Points 120,210
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Sun, Jan 12 2014 11:12 AM | Locked

tnmtgrl:
Anyone out there have any suggestions on books about FMQ for the beginner

You might want to check out craftsy.com. They have classes on machine quilting. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 904
Points 16,765
Patricia Faye replied on Sun, Jan 12 2014 11:40 AM | Locked

tnmtgrl:

Anyone out there have any suggestions on books about FMQ for the beginner? 

Leah Day has an excellent blog and tutorials on FMQ that are free at The Free Motion Quilting Project: Free Motion Quilting Tips and Tools     She also has some on uTube that I've watched that are helpful. She recently started a Building Blocks QAL ($24) that I've signed up for that includes a quilt pattern & FMQ lessons too.   I've seen lots of others but Leah's are by far the easiest & most helpful that I've found for beginning FMQ.

I've also taken her  class on Craftsy and it is excellent.

Hope this is helpful.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sun, Jan 12 2014 11:45 AM | Locked

tnmtgrl, we have a free motion group (Fear no more FMQ) here that you might be helpful to you. Why don't you join and read through our old threads?  Go to the 'pages' section for most of our tutorial info. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,122
Points 17,335
weezee56 replied on Sun, Jan 12 2014 3:37 PM | Locked

Dawn, You and Dh will have a very nice looking shower when you get finished. Great job.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,132
Points 14,655
Dawn replied on Sun, Jan 12 2014 3:49 PM | Locked

Thanks everyone for your nice comments about our shower.  Mimi, no, DH is a security tech.  Plus lots more!  He is quite a wonder, can fix anything from a car to a dryer to a blow dryer.  Can build anything I can dream up, but he puts his foot down on anything w/curves.  I like curves, don't like straight lines.  :-)  I am hoping we can finish the floor by Tuesday, but I will have DGS3 here for a couple days, he is driving DD a little crazy & he is only 1.  I will fence him in the living room and that should help me out!  He is just a boy!  Her first and only boy, she is just not used to how they get into EVERYTHING!!!  He has no fear either.  

Well, gotta go meet the friends for some Mexican!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140
Elaine Phillips replied on Sun, Jan 12 2014 7:39 PM | Locked

Free motion quilting books: Beginners Guide to Free-Motion Quilting by Natalia Bonner, First Steps to free-motion quilting by Christina Cameli, Get Addicted to free-motion Quilting by Sheila Sinclair Snyder, Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters to mention just a few. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 9:08 AM | Locked

tnmtgrl, the best advice I can give, being new with my own mid-arm machine, is practice, practice, practice.  Get some clearance fabric and go to town.  I donate my practice pieces as dog blankets to the shelter I volunteer with.  Also, read your manual carefully.  There's some great advice in there.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 9:48 AM | Locked

We've all occasionally stitched ourselves, but this takes the cake! http://www.complex.com/art-design/2013/12/eliza-bennet-sews-a-sculpture-into-her-skin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 9:49 AM | Locked

Today is lab work for both DH and I in the morning, and then his regular VA appointments in the afternoon.  Maybe some shopping in between, but I'm taking my applique with me while I wait for him at his appointments so the day won't be a complete loss.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,122
Points 17,335
weezee56 replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 11:32 AM | Locked

chocake2:
We've all occasionally stitched ourselves, but this takes the cake!

That is a little creepy. I'm not into pain.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 12:40 PM | Locked

I doubt she pierced the skin deep enough to cause pain, but I agree that it's creepy.  And can you imagine what her skin will look like when she takes it all out? Ick.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 12:51 PM | Locked

Karla's wind has arrived here. The idjit garbage men didn't tie down the trash bins again, and mine left for the far side of the county. I was just out trying to retrieve it. The lid broke off and I have no idea where it ended up...Maybe North Dakota?

A bag of Sprouts daily deposits broke open  when I was trying to get them back into the bin,  and the wind snatched one  and flung it to the end of the block where it attached itself to our neighbor's pickup window.  I can only imagine what the poor man will think if he sees a diaper on his windscreen...  Of course, since we are the only family in town with children, he'll know exactly who to blame.  I did gather up all I could, but with the top broken off the bin, there's little hope that it'll stay put.  A big section of the  up-wind neighbor's tin snow fence came loose and is now wrapped around my fence. It started out crashing down on my car, but thankfully tin is light and I don't think it did any damage.  I keep hearing their shingles bouncing off my wall. Every time we have one of these breezy days I half expect to find their roof on my lawn.  Thankfully there are no trees to come down and do any damage. ...Gonna be an interesting day. Maybe I'll go fly a kite. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 5:21 PM | Locked

That wind definitely was fierce...we ended up part of the neighbor's garbage and all of their leaves in our yard.  Our trees have been devoid of leaves for a month, but they never rake their's up, so now we are the proud owner of their leaves.

Bright spot is that the weather has cleared up (even though the promised rain/snow only amounted to about a thimble full of the much needed precip) and temp is in the low 50's.

Only sewing today has been the applique I was able to finish while at the VA appt (which they called and cancelled about 1 minute before we hit their parking lot).  DH has a terrible cough so they got him squeezed in and we ended up at home earlier than expected, with 3 more prescriptions for his sinus infection and cough.

Now it's time to go pick up the boys and head off to TaeKwonDo.  Guess I'll be able to get a few more pieces appliqued while there.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 8:02 PM | Locked

That woman has way too much, uh, time? On her hands 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 8:02 PM | Locked

That woman has way too much, uh, time? On her hands 

gini in north idaho

Page 184 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 182 183 184 185 186 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use