Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #9

Page 128 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 126 127 128 129 130 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,650 Replies | 68 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 4:21 PM | Locked

Hi Vivian, welcome back!  I found you here too!  We truly did miss you at the Retreat a few weeks ago...  We had beautiful weather and lots of walks on the beach in addition to lots of quilting time in a wonderful spacious room.  Next Year???

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 4:41 PM | Locked

I love the retreats but the date was the same as the fall retreat here. As I was catering and entertaining ( thank god Joan was helping every step of the way) I had to be here. The fall retreats always impact my thanksgiving so the end is rushed for me. I have been looking at some of the dates on the other retreats. Montana has possibilities. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,640
Jacy replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 4:49 PM | Locked

Vivian :
I have been looking at some of the dates on the other retreats. Montana has possibilities. 

I think we were looking at the 2nd or 3rd week of September for Montana.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,105
Points 109,540
chocake2 replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 5:28 PM | Locked

Jacy:
I think we were looking at the 2nd or 3rd week of September for Montana.
That's the plan anyway... But still early and I haven't gotten more research done yet this week.

We got about 4" of s**w on the level, but, as per usual, it drifted so there's some great piles for the kids to play in. Send Gaven her, Jacy!! The bigs just got home and are gearing up to take Sprout out on his first big white adventure. I hve a huge put of be'f barley soup on to simmer, so there'll be something tasty  when they come in.

I did finish the main body of the cancer quilt today. I found a great Red/Blue floral for the border, but it was sprinkled with a  lot of gold, so to balance it I pulled off half the red HST's and replaced them with gold. Now I wish I had more gold for the inner boarder but all I have is wee scraps. Rats...

I put out the word around town that it's in the works and asked anyone interested to send me a note to include with it when it's delivered. I don't know the recipient very well (Her DGG is the same age as Sprout and they play together sometimes, but I barely know Grandma) so I thought warm wishes from folks who do might make it a little more special for her. So many folks seem to want to offer their support but aren't sure how, maybe this will get them started??

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 5:30 PM | Locked

Yeah, it's feeling more like winter is approaching.  Sunny today after the north wind today blew the clouds away.  I need a new winter coat.  I have one that would be useful in Prudhoe Bay.  (my sister used it up there.) but I need something in between that and my 25 cent yard sale jacket.  I need a dress for the wedding too.  It's been a long time since I bought new clothes. 

Jacy, you can keep the snow a bit longer.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 653
Points 12,345
Michelle replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 6:45 PM | Locked

Pat, you're welcome.  Was thinking this might be an idea for those that had room but didn't want to get a separate Long arm machine but wanted the freedom to move thea home not the material. You would still have to have a good sized throat on the machine from how I understand this to work. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,477
Points 46,525
Pat Lancaster replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 6:02 AM | Locked

I posted on another thread about my "new" Featherweight. I am also in a Yahoo group and when I asked questions about it, it sort of stirred the pot and got lots of comments. There is some disagreement about the machine which is ok because I am happy with her. Anyway on of the members posted the following and Donna B suggested I repost it here. I spent some time yesterday thinking about the path this little Featherweight took to get to my house but Rebecca's story beats mine by miles, LOL.

I still think the best explanation for Pat's machine is that it was owned by someone (or several someones, more likely) who cherished it, maintained it, and did a great deal of sewing with it. It makes perfect sense to me that the case was replaced but the machine itself is in good shape -- if the machine was carried around properly in its case, then the case might get quite banged up over time while the machine was well protected INSIDE the case.  It's also possible that the original owner sewed so frequently that the machine was always out and the original case was misplaced or repurposed for something else.  It was built like a sturdy piece of luggage, after all -- and the Depression years were all about making do.  The foot controller would have worn out and been replaced sooner if the machine was in frequent use as well.  It's also possible that the original owner or even the second owner deliberately upgraded to the newer style tension dial, power cord, and face plate in order to make a "hand-me-down" machine seem more modern and new, even if not all of these parts really NEEDED replacing.  Switching out a few parts would have been less expensive than buying a new machine, and whereas in 2013 we're all giddy with excitement about the 1933 FWs, in 1944 or 1953 those earliest FWs would have looked kind of old-fashioned and each of the parts that was replaced would have been considered "modern improvements."  That earliest face plate style wasn't as visible from the front, where the person sewing on the machine could actually see it, was it?  Maybe they changed the face plate because they thought the newer ones were prettier from the front of the machine.  Who knows?

Now, I suppose it's true that someone who didn't know or care much about serial numbers and correct-for-year parts was able to accumulate a few different machines, all of them in bad shape, and was able to pool parts from several machines to get this one back together.  And there's certainly nothing wrong with that...  But I prefer the romantic story I have invented about Pat's Featherweight evolving over time as it was loved, used, and "kept up-to-date" by the busy seamstress who sewed for her eleven children plus earned extra money doing piece work for a factory...  And I'm pretty sure she was also one of the greatest quilters of the 20th century and that her scrap quilts are hanging in the Smithsonian, but alas, she did not label them, so her name is lost to us...  And maybe she even had a fleeting romance with the Singer technician, and she kept switching parts out on her machine to give her an excuse to go and see him again...  Snort!  ;-) 

So next time you are looking at quilts in the Smithsonian know that I have the FW that stitched the scrappy ones, roflol!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 7:26 AM | Locked

Pat, that is such à cute story. Maybe someone Will pick this up as the base for a novel!!! Who knows?

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,501
Points 50,635
Ginny replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 8:49 AM | Locked

Pat, I so enjoyed the story of your FW, the romantic one. You just never know.  I do know that some of the original treadle machines were converted to electric drive.  My Grandmother, who started dressmaking when she was 18 and bought her first Singer, was offered the opportunity to upgrade hers in that manner, but she had sewn many, many years on that machine and wanted to upgrade to a new electric Singer.  So the treadle machine was handed down to my Mom.    Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,105
Points 109,540
chocake2 replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 10:48 AM | Locked

I have a couple singer "converts" that began life as treadles and are now electric. Someday maybe I'll convert  them back... Assuming I can find a place to put 'em.

Today I had thought i would finish putting borders on the cancer quilt, but instead I have just recieved a note from Bossman telling me that he has dibs on my time today. Guess I'm playing with dinos instead of quilting....  Maybe i can get the strips cut before I head out.

Dh got up with Sprout and the kids this AM and let me sleep in. He spoils me! Sprout is happy to have Duh-Dy home to wrestle with.   He's burying him in toys and jabbering a mile a minute. 

Hope everyone is enjoying a purty peaceful morning.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 11:10 AM | Locked

Pat, I just loved the FW "story" by Rebecca.  I'm so glad you posted it here for everyone on QCA to enjoy.

Winthrop, WA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 265
Points 4,945
Lesley replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 1:53 PM | Locked

Jan thanks for your support. Families eh? Good job we can chose our friends!

In the north of UK we missed the worst of the storm thank goodness. Hope Frances is ok.

xx

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,015
Points 15,510
weezee56 replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 2:11 PM | Locked

Pat, I also enjoyed your wonderful story. I know I love My FW her name is Lucy. And she loves to piece my quilt tops for me.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 6:25 PM | Locked

Pat, great story

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,501
Points 50,635
Ginny replied on Thu, Oct 31 2013 5:20 PM | Locked

Well, I went to see the vascular surgeon this morning and he released me from all of my restrictions regarding stairs and driving.  Now I can release my daughter from driving me to everywhere I have had to go this past week.  It has been rough, I had to go to a DR or lab every single day.  Tomorrow, I can drive myself to the last Dr. appt.   I don't know if I'll be able to find my car under all of the dust and falling leaves and hickory nuts out there out there.

It's a very wet, windy and rainy Halloween out there.  No trick or treaters.  That's okay, I don't have any candy to give them.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 50
Page 128 of 244 (3651 items) « First ... < Previous 126 127 128 129 130 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use