Page 1 of 4 (55 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 54 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730
Judy T-Bellingham Posted: Mon, Jul 22 2013 6:19 PM

I just received Egg Money Quilts by Eleanor Burns. I think this was discussed before but I'm a bit frustrated. I'm used to her books being very detailed on yardage and instructions for several different sizes.

Although she does that for other patterns in the book, she doesn't do it for the DWR. Instead she says to contact www.quiltsmart.com for yardage and instructions. I did send them an email.

I spent an hour at the quilt shop trying to figure out how much I needed to buy for the background for a quilt approx 100x100. I wanted to get the background at the same time as the book as I had earned 20% off everything.  It was driving the shop clerk and I nuts. I finally said "Oh bloody heck, I'll just take 6 yards of background ".

Has anyone else made the DWR from the Egg Money Quilts book? I see the DWR tablerunner has full instructions but the blocks are a different size from the quilt.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 320
Points 4,485
Ally replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 7:40 PM

Have the quiltsmart instructions and the yardage is  twin size is fabrics 1-6 arcs 3/4 yd each, fabrics 7-8 jewels 1/2 yd each, background 5 1/2 yards approx finished size is 69 x 92. Hope this helps.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

Ally:

Have the quiltsmart instructions and the yardage is  twin size is fabrics 1-6 arcs 3/4 yd each, fabrics 7-8 jewels 1/2 yd each, background 5 1/2 yards approx finished size is 69 x 92. Hope this helps.

Ally, that does help, thank you. Wow, 5-1/2 yards for background! I got 6 yards thinking I was getting extra. Since I'm hoping to make this about 100x100 I tihnk I may run down and get a couple more yards just to be on the safe side.

Does it give yardage for queen and king?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 9:13 PM

Judy, I found this website and thought it might help.

http://www.simplicity.com/t-Simpli-EZ-Double-Wedding-Ring-Quilt-Block.aspx

from TN

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

Bev :

Judy, I found this website and thought it might help.

http://www.simplicity.com/t-Simpli-EZ-Double-Wedding-Ring-Quilt-Block.aspx

Bev, thank you. The method in Eleanor Burns book uses fusible interfacing and appliqueing the arcs to the background block. I am making a sample block to see how I like it.

It occurred to me that I would like to make a sample block the original method. That way I can decide which method I like best. It looks like a special template is needed for the center of the curves. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 320
Points 4,485
Ally replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 9:56 PM

Doesn't  give yardage for a bigger size. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 10:06 PM

It is good to know there are different methods for a DWR quilt. I mentioned that site because it included yardage for a queen and King quilt. I am looking forward to seeing what method you choose and a picture of your finished quilt. 

from TN

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

I emailed Quiltsmart about getting the instructions for the DWR pattern as referenced in Eleanor Burns Egg Money book. I think I'm going to make the DWR quilt the old fashioned way with Marti Mitchells templates.  After spending $27 for the book I would need to spend another $76. Don't think so.  In case anyone else is interested here is her reply to me:

Hi Judy,
Thanks for writing! Eleanor's Egg Money Quilt book is full of wonderful patterns. The book she is referring to, "Quiltsmart Double Wedding Ring" hasn't been printed since 1999 as we have updated the interfacing and no longer sell the book. The old interfacing in the book had 12 arcs on it and the new interfacing has 16. The interfacing can still be used with Eleanor's book but the number of interfacing panels and fabric yardages have to be adjusted. We recommend buying our Double Wedding Ring Classic Pack if your only making up to a Lap/Twin size ($35.95). It has complete directions, fabric requirements, acrylic template and 8 panels of interfacing. If you want to make a Queen or King size you would also need to purchase our Double Wedding Ring Add-On Pack ($39.95) in addition to the Classic Pack which comes with an additional 10 panels of interfacing and the fabric requirements for the Queen & King.  The Add-On is not available online but you can call in your order at 541-241-7544.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Have a great day!
Erin
Quiltsmart Customer Service

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 732
Points 14,195

Thanks so much for the info, Judy! I've been looking at the Egg Money book on Amazon but I don't think I'll get it now. That's a lot of money for just the DWR pattern, etc. I'm anxious to see how your DWR turns out! I've always liked those.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 8:45 AM

I have the book Drafting for the Creative Quilter by Sally Collins and she shows how to draft your own double wedding ring block, making it the size you want.  I have decided to do this for my FIL and his fiance who will be getting married Nov. 30. 

I just read a bit of the book, it says the instructions come from the book Quilts Galore, by Diana McClun and Laura Nowes. 

I have found that often the books I want, are very cheep second hand on Amazon.com.  Also check out Powell's in Portland OR.  I don't know if they have an on-line store, but generally their second hand books are very inexpensive.  and they have lots of quilting books. Check with your local library too.

I plan on drafting my block and then paper piecing the blocks.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,578
Points 23,965
Susie replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 9:07 AM

Wow, Judy, that's just clear as mud, isn't it?  I helped out with a DWR once, but not sure I really want to do it again.  I didn't cut the pieces, was just pinning & stitching the arcs.  Not unpleasant, but extremely time consuming and painstakingly slow.  I think I'll stick to straight edges for a while.  I may tackle one someday...

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185
swedeami replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 9:25 AM

another good site is betterbooks.com.......

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
Points 1,185
swedeami replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 9:25 AM

another good site is betterbooks.com.......

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

Patti:
I plan on drafting my block and then paper piecing the blocks.

Patti:
I have decided to do this for my FIL and his fiance who will be getting married Nov. 30. 

Paper piecing a DWR? Patti, that hadn't occurred to me. I Googled and found a free pattern on McCalls Quilting. Glancing through it, I'm a bit intimidated but I really want to make one of these. It says to print  98 templates for the 69 x 84 size. But I want it  King size so would have to add another ring.  

Guess what I may be working on (struggling with?) at the Oregon retreat.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

Susie:

Wow, Judy, that's just clear as mud, isn't it?  I helped out with a DWR once, but not sure I really want to do it again.  I didn't cut the pieces, was just pinning & stitching the arcs.  Not unpleasant, but extremely time consuming and painstakingly slow.  I think I'll stick to straight edges for a while.  I may tackle one someday..

Oh dear, I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. I tend to like things I can complete quickly so this will stretch not only my ability but my patience. I suspect it will also force me to be more precise. I'm a bit sloppy.  I pulled some fabrics but will probably add or subtract when I actually start the project.

• | Post Points: 80
Page 1 of 4 (55 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use