Page 1 of 5 (61 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 60 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana Posted: Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:16 PM

I have a question for all you quilters out there.   Does anybody absolutely love paper piecing and would rather do that than any other piecing?   Cause if you do.....How do you get all the frigging fragging irritating paper off the back of your block when you are done without pulling your hair out?    Curious minds want to know.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,568
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:29 PM

Oh Nana......ROFLMAO......... Yes........ I have always wondered that too...lol...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 105
Points 1,300
Willie L replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:40 PM

I like Paper piecing,it is not my favorite,but you can do things with it you can`t do with other methods.I was fortunate to take a class with Carol Doak (Queen of PP) and she told us to make your stitch length small like 14 and also she had us to use a jeans needle or comparibly as this pierces thepaper more,also crese the stitch line with a chopstick or something not sharpI also use a pair of forceps with tiny ends that a guy at AQS was selling.Hope these tips help.

GA Quilter

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:43 PM

Thanks Willie I will try those.  I do like the points you get with paper piecing but boy the paper can be such a pain to get off.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:44 PM

And BTW Willie.  Welcome to the site.  I don't think I have seen you on the forums before.  Hope you will chat with us more frequently and tell us about yourself and your quilts.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

I like paper piecing. It's not something I want to do every day, but I do enjoy it. I found, in addition to the tips Willie gave, that it works well if you hold the seam side of the paper  and pull on the large piece of paper. It teams like paper from a tablet. I don't use the chopstick, rather I just fold the paper over the seam part and crease it with my thumbnail.

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,248
Points 239,892
Thea replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 2:39 PM

I do not like paper piecing at all - but there are certain quilts that I have wanted to make and the only way to do them is to paper piece them... I found some wonderful paper to use... it tears easily away from the seam in one piece... in a prior post I put what the type of paper is and since i am not home I can not tell you... but it works fantastic... you buy it at the paper store...lol  

I tried Carol Doak's paper and sorry do not like it... I have heard that blank newspaper print works really well too though... but when I get back home - I'll post the type of paper and it is wonderful...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 2:59 PM

Willie, Judy, and Althea.

Thanks for all the wonderful tips.  I had picked up a pack of the Carol Doak's paper at the LQS that was on sale.  It reminds me of the old writing tablet paper I used in elementary school many years ago...LOL.  Willie your needle tips and stitch length helped so much and like you Judy I creased with my fingernail.  The paper almost fell off.  Thank you guys so much.  I might actually do more paper piecing now. 

Althea the biggest problem I found with Carol's paper is that it is hard to see thru.  Some type of vellum style paper would be much better.  I remember you talking about the paper you use and I could probably find it at one of our office supply stores.  I just hadn't done enough paper piecing to justify looking for it before now.

Again thanks folks....I appreciate the help.   I was almost bald from trying to pull the paper off my blocks.....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,248
Points 239,892
Thea replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 3:02 PM

Nana, believe me it is worth it - 500 sheets of it stands as tall as 100 sheets of carol doak's and it tears so easily and stays in one piece so you aren't picking hundreds of pieces... I crease it and pull from the center and have not had a problem and it goes through the printer so fantastically... so where I was tracing now I just send through teh printer and save time...

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 3:05 PM

Althea

I would send my thru the printer too if it would quit reducing the size of the document I am trying to print.  Made 2 blocks and could not figure why they were coming up small.  Then I measured the pattern I had printed and it was between 1/4 and 1/2 inch smaller than it should have been.  So for now I am back to tracing or drawing them out in EQ 6.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,248
Points 239,892
Thea replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 3:12 PM

Nana, does you printer have a setting that says print at 100%... it sounds like you have it set to print to size of paper...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 4:11 PM

Thea

I have done everything I can think of to this printer and it still isn't printing to size.  Maybe one day I will get it to do what I want instead of what it wants....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,248
Points 239,892
Thea replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 4:13 PM

I would have a good talking to with it...lol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,461
Points 361,952
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 5:07 PM

Nana:

I have a question for all you quilters out there.   Does anybody absolutely love paper piecing and would rather do that than any other piecing?   Cause if you do.....How do you get all the frigging fragging irritating paper off the back of your block when you are done without pulling your hair out?    Curious minds want to know.

Nana,

I like paper piecing and it never bothered me to pull the paper off the back. You could try freezer paper foundation piecing. You don't sew through the paper just next to it. I posted a tutorial on one of the SBS threads.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,248
Points 239,892
Thea replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 5:16 PM

The other thing you can use today is the paper that washes out... I read about that about a month or so ago.  it is more expensive though.

Page 1 of 5 (61 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use