quilted vs. tied quilts

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 425
CindyA posted on Sun, Jul 21 2013 10:07 AM

I'd better start this by saying that I don't have a clue about finishing a quilt...either quilted or tied would be a learning experience for me.

At this point, all I've done so far is make 2 tops and have started on the third. Workspace is rather limited, but I'd like to make a few lap quilts for holiday gifts.

I understand that a tied quilt would be the easiest way to go, but that's not always the best way. I'm totally at a loss and feel like I might be getting in way over my head.

Are there classes for finishing quilts?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,470 Posts
Points 116,790

CindyA:

Try www.craftsy.com .  They have so many online classes. There are also books, try your local quilt store for classes. Or even just ask them for help during a time when they aren't busy. Some are very helpful and others not so much. Many have beginner classes.

My first quilts 40 years ago were all tied as I didn't even know any other way. Now I'm hooked on machine quilting. Or,you may find you'd enjoy hand quilting. Again, ask at your local quilt store if you have one. 

A tied quilt can be very sweet so, if you're brand new to quilting, that might be a way to get started.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
789 Posts
Points 12,705

Judy T-Bellingham:

...  Now I'm hooked on machine quilting.

Judy, do you do FMQ with your sewing machine or a long arm on a quilting frame?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
69 Posts
Points 730

I tied my first three quilts.  It took me a while to work up to machine quilting and I started out small (table runners) .  I think getting one finished makes you feel so good and machine quilting does take time to learn. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
436 Posts
Points 7,025

Judy T-Bellingham:

CindyA:

Try www.craftsy.com .  They have so many online classes. There are also books, try your local quilt store for classes. Or even just ask them for help during a time when they aren't busy. Some are very helpful and others not so much. Many have beginner classes.

My first quilts 40 years ago were all tied as I didn't even know any other way. Now I'm hooked on machine quilting. Or,you may find you'd enjoy hand quilting. Again, ask at your local quilt store if you have one. 

A tied quilt can be very sweet so, if you're brand new to quilting, that might be a way to get started.

Cindy,

When I started out a long time ago...I tied mine. It was the easiest and they looked pretty. In fact if I am short on time, I will still tie one off instead of machine quilt. But there are lots of classes like Judy said, and you can also try You Tube. 

Not Ranked
Female
48 Posts
Points 760
Valerie replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 10:48 AM

Hi Cindy,

Don't worry. I have only been quilting for a couple years now. The thing i realized it that doing practice runs help alot.

My grandmother tied all of her quilts. She used a simple frame made from lumber to help secure the quilts.

I do more of the machine quilting. although i do struggle with the decision of what pattern to use, once i get going i quite enjoy it. 

You will find your method. If you wish you could also check with your local quilt stores to see if they offer classes. I did at mine and it was so helpful.

Good luck

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,406 Posts
Points 19,540

Valerie:

Hi Cindy,

Don't worry. I have only been quilting for a couple years now. The thing i realized it that doing practice runs help alot.

My grandmother tied all of her quilts. She used a simple frame made from lumber to help secure the quilts.

I do more of the machine quilting. although i do struggle with the decision of what pattern to use, once i get going i quite enjoy it. 

You will find your method. If you wish you could also check with your local quilt stores to see if they offer classes. I did at mine and it was so helpful.

Good luck

I agree with Cindy. I watched youtube but then I also took a class at my quilt shop. The class was so helpful because it was hands on and teacher was right there to answer any questions. I also only use my domestic sewing machine.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use