Borders on foundation pieced quilts

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo posted on Thu, Jul 18 2013 8:59 AM

I just finished setting together the last foundation pieced blocks my Mother made before she died in 2008 (she was 91 when she made these blocks in 2007) and have wound up with a 67 inch square top.  In order for the quilt to be useable, I need to add a total of 20 inches in length (divided into 2 borders, top and bottom) in order for the quilt to be useable as a twin sized quilt. If I add a 5 inch border on each side in addition to the top and bottom border I will have a standard sized quilt.  If I add 13 inch top/bottom borders and 9 inch side borders I would have a queen quilt.

In the past I have added smaller borders (no more than 4 inches) to foundation pieced tops without any problem. Since these would be much wider I am wondering if I need to back the borders with the foundation material in order for the weight balance of the quilt to be correct and/or prevent the quilt from becoming "wonky" or getting "lettuce" edges.

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,382 Posts
Points 24,135
Roxana replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 9:04 AM

I don't know the answer to your question but it's a beautiful quilt. 

It does make good sense to add foundation to the borders though. Is the foundation material muslin? Just curious.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 9:07 AM

Yes it is muslin.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,760 Posts
Points 247,454

Flo instead of one Border could  you make several smaller borders in the colors of the top to make the sizes you need ,this would break it up so it doesn't like like just one border and could really give it some added beauty . And speaking of Beauty ,its a beautiful quilt to begin with . I love how you have played out the designs .  I really think the multiple border will work great. There are several really good books out there on borders  that can really help you out .  Go to The Round Robin Group  in the group section and check out the borders in the media section . you just can't believe some of the outstanding borders  these gals have put on the tops . it will give you some great ideas.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,821 Posts
Points 85,145

I am just in awe of this gorgeous quilt. What a joy!

Sukochi

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 9:25 AM

The multiple borders sound good.  I have enough of the lightest red print (appears pink in photo) in the center and the darkest red to make the borders.  Will preview and measure to see if I have enough and like the result.  Still wondering about backing the borders with foundation like the rest of the quilt.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,041 Posts
Points 169,863
Marie replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 9:31 AM

I would agree with Barbara's suggestion of multiple borders.  Beautiful quilt!  I pray I'm still quilting at your mothers age.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,760 Posts
Points 247,454

Flo  not sure that is necessary ,but once you get going on the borders I think a lot of that depends on what you do . Are you using paper or or what.?

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 10:04 AM

Muslin is the foundation.  I cut the foundation, marked the center, and cut the center square and triangles for the square in the square center of the center for Mother.  The fabrics and order of application was all hers!  It was all done by hand because her legs would jerk from time to time and she was afraid she would sew her fingers if using the sewing machine.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,760 Posts
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 12:38 PM

Flo you both did a outstanding job ,the quilt is beautiful . if the whole quilt has a foundation then I think I would also do the borders ,esp. if you use the same fabric. you want the quilt to be consistent, and no warping or anything ,can't quite figure out the word I'm looking for.  LOL But I think you get  the picture.

Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,324 Posts
Points 19,935

Don't have any advice to add but it sounds like you're already getting some good advice.  Just wanted to add that it's a very pretty quilt.

Raleigh, NC

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 340

I would back the borders in the muslin fabric.  I made a string quilt with a muslin foundation and it was a pretty heavy (dense?) quilt.  To give the quilt a consistent weight and feel and to keep the borders from being a little "floppy" I really think you need the muslin foundation.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 1:53 PM

Flojo

The quilt looks amazing.  Love the border you decided on.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,373 Posts
Points 48,745
Ginny replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 2:40 PM

I love the way the quilt top looks so far , Flo.    Ginny

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use