Happy 4th Everyone

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,108
Points 110,275

Just watching A Capital Fourth and Neil Diamond. Oh Lordy I do love that man and his music. Waiting for the fireworks to begin. Of course I'm on the west coast so I know it's already happened in DC.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 11:56 PM

Judy

It is a great show.  I love Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow.   Barry is beginning to look a little "plastic" though.  I think he has pushed the envelope with those surgeries....LOL.   Great fireworks show ...  it would really be awesome to see in person.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 4:50 AM

Judy T and Nana -

I really should be in bed  but just catching up with the emails from QCA - haven't read them for a few days.  I was so pleased to see that others on this site are Neil Diamond fans.  i absolutely love the man, can listen to him 24/7 much to my husband's frustration.  My kids all raise their eyebrows when I mention him but one DGD loves him and so I guess there is hope for some of the younger generation.  :-) I missed the program though, didn't know it was on! :-(

For years I used to make the comment that I hoped I would get to see Neil Diamond in concert before I died.  In August of 1996, I saw where he would be in Spokane on our Anniversary.  I called my DH at work and told him that I was going to Spokane on August 3rd to see Neil and if he wanted to, he could come along.  LOL  After the concert was finished, he actually remarked that he had done a pretty good show. DUH!  NO KIDDING! 

Then a month later I had my second go around with cancer and it kind of hit me with what I had been saying for years about seeing Neil.  But here it is 2013 and I am still kicking and still remembering how much I enjoyed that concert.

Glad to know I have kindred spirits where he is concerned.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,108
Points 110,275

Marge, I hope you're staying safe during the fire season.

You're going to the Oregon retreat, right? We'll have to bring our Neil Diamond CD's, go down on the beach and blast away!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 5:57 PM

Had a big family barbecue...lot's of food and good company.  DD1's in-laws from Britain arrived on the first and we were all enjoying the food and company when we got hit with a thunderstorm that was not dry as usual.  One and half inches of rain, and the storm that usually goes around us, came back and hit us again.  Temps dropped from 102 and 8% humidity to 72 and 56% humidity in a matter of minutes.  We had to adjourn to inside (and believe me our house is too small for 13 people and such a mess with my sewing stuff scattered all around) for the rest of the afternoon and evening.  Storm did quit in time for use to sit out on the porch and watch the fireworks, though, so all in all it was a good day.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 7,440
Joyce replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 7:05 PM

Hi Frances and everyone else, sounds like fun was had by most.  Melissa H. I'm happy your DH wasn't hurt in that accident with the rock.  We spent the week in Ohio with our DD & DSIL and DGC.  We celebrated on the 3rd with our own fireworks (legal ones) in their huge back yard and had a fire and made Smores.  It was a beautiful sunset and evening.  The 4th it rained most of the day but we had hot dogs & chicken cooked on the grill with corn on the cob and all the other fixins.  It was good.  My DD made a flag cake with strawberries & blueberries it turned out pretty and tasted good too.  Today Fri. we drove the 500 miles back to Maryland about 9 hours for us.  Long trip.  Traffic wasn't bad for a holiday so we were pleased we decided to travel today instead of Sat. 

Frances way back in the 70's we lived in England for 3 years and made some wonderful friends that we are still in contact with.  We took them on the base with us for that 4th it was small celebration but as we waited to see the fireworks my friend ask what we were celebrating so we explained then she ask who did you get your Independence from?  We all had a chuckle from that and explained we got it from YOU.  I guess they don't teach that part in the British schools. ha  We had wonderful memories of those times.  England is beautiful.

Joyce

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 7:41 PM

Joyce

Oh that was just too funny.  I bet your friend felt a little embarrassed after that one....ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 755
Points 11,345

I hope everyone had a great holiday yesterday. Mine was scary, DGS1 was in emergency room most of the day. Pain in his hip. He is only 5. They think pain was from inflamation from bug/spider bites? the bites were on this arm. He is much better now. We are very thankful he is better.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,889
gini replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 8:07 PM

Weezee, I'm glad your little guy is better.

I spent the evening and wee morning hours in the hospital with dad.   If they had just rotated the hospital 30 degrees, I could have seen the fireworks.  Oh we'll, next year.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,108
Points 110,275

gini:
I spent the evening and wee morning hours in the hospital with dad

Tough thing Gini. How is he doing? How are YOU doing?

We were in bed about the time the fireworks over the bay started. Even though we're about 6 miles away they were really booming. Our dog was shaking so hard, poor little pooch. I tried to wrap her up in the blanket and put my arms around her tight but it didn't seem to help. She didn't want to stay in bed with us and paced the room from one corner to the other until long after it was over. Every once in a while she'd come over by me and put her head up on the side of the bed for a bit of comfort. Can't give her tranquilizers of any kind because of her health issues.  She reacts the same to thunder.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,889
gini replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 9:00 PM

I'm doing great, just tired.  Tired of the hospital's non-action and just plumb tired.   I'm going home earlier tonight and will get a good night's sleep.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 10:00 PM

Joyce,

Well it wasnt taught when i was at school however i think it is covered now, but i have to say i thought most people realised who America became Independant from, now it just begs the question what did they think the Boston tea party was, maybe several well to do women sitting round sipping cups of tea from dainty china.

Joyce you are right England is beautiful and i would never live anywhere else, if you could throw me over a slice of the flag cake i can catch it at this end it sounds wonderful.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 3:24 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:
You're going to the Oregon retreat, right? We'll have to bring our Neil Diamond CD's, go down on the beach and blast away!

Sounds good to me, Judy T.  I rec'd an email from MLB and there was a short video on him singing his new song - then another longer video with him in Boston singing Sweet Caroline.  That particular one was after the Boston Marathon bombing.Yep, he is the greatest!

So far so good over here on the fire scene.  I pray things will be quiet this year.  Some idiots were setting fires intentionally over in the Omak area about 2 weeks ago.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,035
Points 169,758
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 9:56 AM

gini:

I'm doing great, just tired.  Tired of the hospital's non-action and just plumb tired.   I'm going home earlier tonight and will get a good night's sleep.

Prayers going up for Dad, Gini.  Take care of yourself as well.  God Bless.  (((((HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,371
Points 48,735
Ginny replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 5:49 PM

Well, Frances, my friend and I just got back from a very long motorcycle trip, that I know was over 800 miles, but I don't know more than that.  WE traveled to the upper peninsula of Michigan starting early Thursday morning.  Saw beautiful countryside and 3 of our Great Lakes.  The further north we went the hotter it got.  WE were so tired at night we couldn't even stay awake for any fireworks.  Met a lot of beautiful people.   Ginny

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use