rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless Posted: Fri, Jun 28 2013 7:32 PM

Time for a July patio party.

Bring your favorite summer time recipes.

This one is from Loretta.  I tried it and loved it!

REFRIGERATOR PICKLES

8 c. sliced cucumbers

1 green pepper (diced)

1 c. onions, diced fine

1 1/2 Tbsp. salt

2 c. sugar

1 c. vinegar

1 tsp. celery seed

Mix together first 4 ingredients. Let stand 1/2 hour and rinse with cold water twice until salt is rinsed out well. Mix together sugar, vinegar and celery seed, mix into cucumbers until sugar is dissolved. Keep in refrigerator - mix once more later. Keep in refrigerator and eat as is.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 9:48 PM

sounds like a great recipe.  it will help me be  healthy. 

We have developed a custom of Friday wine, fruit and cheese out on the patio.  It is so nice to sit there, enjoy the birds and the garden, and talk over the events of the week, and how wonderful life is.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Jun 29 2013 8:14 AM

I'm gonna have to think about this for awhile. I have so many ..LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Sat, Jun 29 2013 9:44 AM

Barbara:

I'm gonna have to think about this for awhile. I have so many ..LOL  Barbara

Post the many, Barbara!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Sat, Jun 29 2013 9:48 AM

Patti:

sounds like a great recipe.  it will help me be  healthy. 

We have developed a custom of Friday wine, fruit and cheese out on the patio.  It is so nice to sit there, enjoy the birds and the garden, and talk over the events of the week, and how wonderful life is.

I really like that.  Good idea.  Excellent idea as a matter of fact.  Take the time to reflect on all that is good and right.

Another idea that we do is "movie night."  Just at home but we pick out an old classic movie to watch and make popcorn and have movie theater candy.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 11:25 AM

My summer patio ideal is to get up early, have my first cup of coffee out on the deck, enjoy the sun, birds and dog running around. Then go work in my flowers and stop regularly and enjoy a break with my DH. on rainy days...of course there is always quilting for me :-)

Angèle  from NWO

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025

Here's one I've been enjoying lately.  It's quick and easy and healthy and a default recipe during the summer at our house.  We lost our garden to deer, but I expect some of you are probably getting zucchini by now or will be soon if you're not already.  I'm totally just guessing with these quantities since I always just eyeball this, but they should be close enough to get you started.  If you use too much zucchini or too much butter (Don't go all Paula Deen on this one!), then it will turn out mushy.  But if you get the quantities right (sorry I don't have exact measurements), then the consistency will be just like rice.  

zucchini rice

1 c basmati rice

l large or 2 small zuchinni

1.5 T butter

1-2 T lemon pepper

1.  Grate the zucchini.  I use my food processor for this, since it grates it to a consistency almost exactly like rice.  If you don't have a food processor, you can use a hand grater.  It's very easy to grate.  You'll just end up with a different consistency.

2.  Cook rice according to directions.  Stop the rice *just* before it's done (about a minute too soon).  Drain as much water as possible out of the rice, since the zucchini adds a little bit of water.

3.  As soon as the rice is (almost) done and the water drained, put the hot, steamy rice back into the pot, dump the grated zucchini on top of the rice, cover and let it sit for a couple minutes.  This steams the zucchini.  It only takes a couple minutes.  

4.  Add butter and lemon pepper and stir.  

Raleigh, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 2:06 PM

Carolyn this sounds good.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,845
Jenia replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 2:21 PM

I have a summertime favorite that we call fruity-ass salad, I'm sure it has a more sophisticated name but hey it's relaxed summertime right?

Just mix 1 jar of marshmallow cream with 1 package of cream cheese (sounds weird but its fabulous)

mash and mix with fork

Chill  as long as you can have willpower (once you taste test it, it's hard to walk away)

Serve for dipping with strawberries, cut up nectarines, seedless grapes, cut up applies or any kind of firm fruit or jicama

Add sweat tea and a good magazine

Lay on the porch swing, munch, sip, nap, munch, nap, sip....rest and repeat (haha)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025

Lol, Jenia.  Sounds great.  :)  I think I will try that on Thursday.  Sounds like a good one that I can prepare ahead of time.

Raleigh, NC

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,845
Jenia replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 3:05 PM

Carolyn (CarolBeau):

Lol, Jenia.  Sounds great.  :)  I think I will try that on Thursday.  Sounds like a good one that I can prepare ahead of time.

haha...don't say I didn't warn you - if you make it ahead of time make two bowls (one will disappear really fast)

You will find yourself spooning just a little taste several times before you know it, it's gone.  Very addicting.

Another fruit addiction fix is Frosted Grapes:

Ingredients

• 40 large, unblemished green grapes
  • 1/3 cup egg whites (from about 2 eggs)*
  • 5 drops (scant 1/8 teaspoon) fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cups granulated sugar

Directions

At least 3 hours and up to 7 days before serving, remove the grapes from their stems and place in the freezer. When ready to serve, whisk the egg whites with the lemon juice in a large bowl until frothy. Put the sugar in another bowl.

Drop the grapes into the bowl of egg whites, then pour the contents of the bowl through a strainer to drain the liquid. Dump the grapes onto a paper towel and roll them around until most of the excess egg white has been absorbed. Working in batches, add the grapes to the sugar and shake them around to coat. Shake off any excess. Transfer to serving glasses and serve immediately.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 8:36 PM

Here is my contribution.  I've made it twice, will make it for July 4th at friends' home, and again for our community picnic on Saturday. 

Sweet Potato and Crystallized Ginger Salad

(from Cooks.com  I love ginger so I double the amount of fresh and crystallized ginger)

the dressing:

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

2 tablespoons veg. oil.

1 tablespoon honey

2 tsp soy sauce.

1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger

pinch of ground red pepper.

The salad:

1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces 1/4 x 1/4 2 two inches.

1/2 cup green onions

2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, cut into slivers.

Directions:

combine the dressing ingredients and let sit for about an hour.

steam the sweet potatoes until tender (but not soft) Plunge into ice water to cool and stop the cooking.

mix the sweet potatoes, green onions, crystallized ginger and the dressing.  Chill for at least one hour.

People at first think it is a carrot salad.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 8:59 PM

Patti:
Sweet Potato and Crystallized Ginger Salad

Oh, I am so excited!!!  I was just going to send Patti an email asking her for this recipe.  DH & I were treated to dinner at Patti's last Sunday evening and she served this salad.  Now I normally am not a sweet potato fan, but this was absolutely delicious!  

Thanks again Patti and DH for the wonderful dinner, native plant starts and a lovely evening...

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 9:53 PM

Gee, Patti, I can think of a few more of us who would enjoy dinner at your place. When will the invite be issued?   LOL

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 12:31 AM

Jenia

I like to take any seedless plump grapes and wash them and dry them and put them in a zip loc freezer bag and freeze them.   Just grab some out anytime you want a refreshing snack in the heat of summer.    And this way there isn't any added sugar.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use