Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 405
Marjoeal Posted: Thu, Jun 27 2013 8:21 PM

I'm a 65 year old granny  who's relatively new to quilting. I have taught myself with help from the internet and nice people on several forums. My hubby and I are retired and live in the country near extended family. Our only grandchild is 2 and lives 40 miles away in the city. I have lots of things to do but quilting is something I like to accomplish for myself. I can't spend much money on anything, so I say I'm a Wall-Mart quilter. Right now I'm at the point I'm hoping to get good enough to sell some quilts.  And buy more fabric, to make more quilts, to buy more fabric...well, you know the merry go round! All your help is greatly appreciated.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Welcome Marjoeal - You will love it here. There is so much help, kindness and information on this site. I look forward to seeing some of your quilts. Take a look at the "Show and Tell Gallery".

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Jun 27 2013 10:10 PM

Nice to meet you, Marjoeal.  If you're a Walmart quilter, then I'd say you are lucky that your Walmart still has fabric.  I'd heard that a lot of them eliminated their fabric departments.

It's fun to hear that you've picked up our addiction.  We don't offer any cures on this site, but we're happy to answer any questions and offer opinions and advice on anything quilting related.  Happy buying and sewing!  Post some pictures if you get a chance.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Jun 27 2013 11:02 PM

Marjoeal,welcome to the club. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Thu, Jun 27 2013 11:07 PM

Welcome Marjoeal.  I started with WalMart fabric from a town about 40 miles away.  Then they built a WalMart here in Fernley, and it has never had a fabric department.  I was really disappointed.  JoAnn's is also 40 miles away in the opposite direction.  Thank goodness that last year someone opened a quilt shop here Fernley and I think I am one of their best customers.  I will go in for one little thing and come out with armloads of fabric.  I don't think my husband is happy that it's here, though.

Anyway, I think you will really like this site.  Everyone here is so friendly and helpful.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Jun 27 2013 11:22 PM

Welcome Margoeal, I am sure you will like this group.  I check in first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and lots in between! 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 5:32 AM

Hi marjoeal, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

marjoeal,

I started out the same way, fab from local stores, like Walmart, Hobby Lobby, and Hancock's. 

My grandmother's used scap fabric and parts of worn out clothes. 

Ya got to start somewhere!  Welcome to the Wonderful World Great Women who will help you along the way.  Good luck!

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,585
Points 26,580
Debbie replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 12:51 PM

Welcome, marjoeal - what an unusual name you have.  been there and done that, but it's addictive for sure.  you'll love this website and the ladies are so great about offering help, sometimes even with quilting!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:07 PM

Hi Marjoeal

I'm originally from Huntsville, in northern Alabama.  That's where I got my quilting bug, from my Granny who still lives there at the ripe old age of 93.  I get back to visit at least once a year, usually in April when it's her birthday.  My mom, aunts and uncles and cousins are all still there too.   It's quite a drive for me coming from New Mexico at 19 hours I would go back more often if I could do it in one day.

I too get fabric scraps from Walmart; I also have purchased from ebay and have been quite pleased with both.  You can find some real bargains on ebay if you just wait for the right deal.  I can't walk into Walmart or Hobby Lobby without checking out the remnants.

Anyway I'm fairly new here too and have enjoyed it very much.  This morning the site was down for me and I was so upset because I could see what was going on in the quilting world today.

Hope to talk to you soon and often.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 2:33 PM

I couldn't get on the site this morning either.  Must have been maintenance time.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 405
Marjoeal replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 3:16 PM

I'm MARy. My hubby is JOE and we live in ALabama. I use Marjoe or Marjoeal all over the web. I also do genealogy. You can see my family tree at World Connect. We may be related!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,573
Points 177,973
Marie replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 4:49 PM

Mary, it's all true wht everyone is saying about QCA so I'll just say welcome and enjoy!

I couldn't get on site until now, it's frustrating to say the least.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 9:10 PM

Well, I'm glad I didn't even try to get on today until just now.  I dislike the frustration of temperamental technology.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,079
gini replied on Sat, Jun 29 2013 12:42 AM

Hi marjoeal,  welcome to the group.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use