What kind of batting to use in a wall hanging

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,119 Posts
Points 14,425
Dawn posted on Tue, Jun 25 2013 1:59 PM

I have some batting, but it is pretty fluffy.  Not sure if I should use it, and it is the only batting I have.  I would like to get the sandwiching done, but not sure if fluffy batting is the way I should go.  I live 20 min. from the nearest LQS.  Just wanting to save time and money.  Thanks for your help!

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,333 Posts
Points 20,025

Hi Dawn, 

If you're trying to save time and money, I would just go with what you have.  That's what I would do anyway.  Good luck with your decision.  :)

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

There is no reason why you can't use fluffy batting for a wall hanging. Just make sure you follow the manufactures directions for the minimum stitch spacing.

Denise Smart

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,493 Posts
Points 138,373

Dawn:
but it is pretty fluffy.

I used a fluffy batting in a quilt and will never do it again on a domestic machine. It's very shifty and difficult to manage. A wall hanging might not be too bad. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,280 Posts
Points 173,388
Marie replied on Wed, Jun 26 2013 8:36 AM

Dawn:

I have some batting, but it is pretty fluffy.  Not sure if I should use it, and it is the only batting I have.  I would like to get the sandwiching done, but not sure if fluffy batting is the way I should go.  I live 20 min. from the nearest LQS.  Just wanting to save time and money.  Thanks for your help!

Dawn, let me tell you my experience with fluffy batting in a wall hanging which I made when I didn't know like you.  The wall hanging I made doesn't hang right, the batting is too thick.  If you can pull the batting apart so that it is only one layer, maybe that will work.  I'm adding a picture of my WH to show you it doesn't work.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Dawn , I would never use a real fluffy batting for a wall hanging ,but that is just me, they are not made for wall hangings . I know your 20 mins  from  LQS , but I'd go anyway

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,119 Posts
Points 14,425
Dawn replied on Wed, Jun 26 2013 3:20 PM

Thanks everyone, I will just have to buy more.  :-)  

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use