Beading on quilts

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
MRSLatte Posted: Sat, Jun 15 2013 12:03 PM

I'm not sure - Is it better to bead before or after quilting?  If you add beads after won't your stitches show?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

I'm not sure you can quilt it smoothly after the beads are on. I would think the needle would hit the beads unless you are hand quilting. Then you would have to go around the beads or through the beads. It seems like a lot of work to quilt afterward. You wouldn't have to go all the way through the quilt to secure the beads. It can go just through the first layer and the batting. I hope that helps.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 230
rockeeann replied on Sat, Jun 15 2013 2:39 PM

It is better to bead after quilting.  You will break needles and the frustration of trying to replace one and then pick up where you left off on your quilting is not worth it.  Or your needle will move to the side of a bead and it throws off your quilting pattern from the back.  You can bead in a way that will show or not show your thread from the top.  If you don't want it part of the quilting seen on the back, then only go through to the batting.  Check out books from your library regarding bead embroidery.  There are many ideas on what to do with thread tails.  Make a small sampler to see what would work for you.  Beading adds so much to quilting.  Just have fun.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 230
rockeeann replied on Sat, Jun 15 2013 2:52 PM

My reply was for machine quilting.  I don't hand quilt.  I wouldn't think it would make a difference if you beaded first or quilted first.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 12:07 PM

I would definitely bead after. It you try to hand quilt after beading you will die of frustration as your needle and thread wrap around them constantly. Machine quilting after would have its own set of problems with not only needle breaks, but the presser foot catching on the beads and ripping them loose. Losing the tails should be no problem. When you bead,  start just like you would with hand quilting and lose your knot and tail thread in between the layers. Take an extra tiny stitch before you start beading and tie your thread after every few beads. As you sew them on just catch the top layer and not all the way through to the back. No stitches will show.   You'll be glad you took the time to knot every few beads because  if you ever wash it, or use it and something snags on the beads. Better to lose a few and replace them than to have a whole strings fall off. Hope this helps.     

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
MRSLatte replied on Tue, Jun 25 2013 12:38 PM

Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use