Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 425
CindyA Posted: Mon, Jun 3 2013 8:53 AM

I'm not quite sure where to start, but I'll give it a try. :) I've sewed off and on for most of my life (even made my wedding dress), and while going through some of my mom's things (she passed away 2 years ago), I found 3 or 4 quilts that she had started the tops.I never was really interested in quilting myself but helped her cut pieces a lot and threaded needles for her when she had trouble. Now that she's gone, I'm kicking myself for not paying more attention to what she did so I could continue her work. She hand stitched everything and I remember her taking the tops to my aunt so she could hand quilt them.

I've taken one class at Joann's and made a single block. Now, I think I've been bitten by the bug!

Not only did mom piece quilts, but she had 3 or 4 sets of blocks to embroider that she bought at Danner's! They've been out of business for probably 20 years (the price tag on the blocks was $.79 each or a set of 12 for $6.99. Wow! I have about half of one set finished and can't wait til I get to the point of putting it all together!! When I get that far, I know I'll be yelling for help and suggestions since I don't have a clue what I'm doing!

Guess you could say that I'm about as rookie as it gets....hopefully not jumping in over my head. :)

• | Post Points: 155
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 9:32 AM

Cindy welcome to the club,  I use to live in Indiana ,and I do remember Danners we had one in the town I grew up in. It use to be the place to go for sewing stuff. " back in the olden days " LOL    Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,730
winurse replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 10:00 AM

Hi Cindy,    You are never over your head and always over your head with quilting.   I have not been in this group long but have found that they are a wonderful, funny , supportive and helpful group of ladies.    Where in Indiana are you?   I am in Cedar Lake.  

Well,   off to finish some things I made for my granddaughter in Texas.  They are waiting not too patiently .   

Have a great day!

God Bless   Sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,114
Points 410,999
gini replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 10:06 AM

Hi Cindy, welcome to the gang.   We love to help so,if you get stuck,  just ask away.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 10:47 AM

Welcome Cindy :)

If you ever need help, you've come to the right place. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,094
Points 14,135
Dawn replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 10:54 AM

Welcome!  You will love this group!  We have lots of fun and everyone is very helpful!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 3:36 PM

Cindy

Welcome.   It seems most of us didn't pay attention when our Moms and Grandmas were quilting.  I can remember them setting up the quilting frame and all the ladies would get together and quilt but that is about all I remember....LOL>   I hope you enjoy your new addiction as much as I enjoy mine.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,393
Points 19,325

Welcome Cindy. So glad you found us. I predict you will become addicted just like the rest of us did. 

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942

Cindy, welcome.  the best way to learn is to jump in with both feet

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 10:12 PM

Welcome, Cindy!  It sounds like you are enjoying the embroidery work.  I've seen some beautiful hand-embroidered blocks sewn into quilts - can't wait to see yours!  So how was the class at Joann's?  Do you remember the name of the block you did in that class?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,120
Karla replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 10:23 AM

Welcome, Cindy...what a great find!  My mother was not a quilter and couldn't even turn on a sewing machine, but she sure did crochet.  I inherited probably about 50 afghans she had made...they are truly an heirloom.  Good luck with finishing your Mom's quilts.  They will be a treasure.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 240
Kathy replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 7:31 PM

Welcome Cindy!

I also am from Indiana and a beginner quilter.  How awesome that you have some of those quilts started by your mom.  I am not originally from Indiana so don't know about Danner's, but I have embroidered since my grandma taught me when I was very young.  I just love embroidery, which I feel like is a natural introduction to quilting.  So, here I am trying to teach myself to quilt.  Unfortunately I do not live close enough to any place to take classes, so thought joining this group might help.  I am new here, but so far everyone seems very friendly and eager to help.  I am sure you will be glad you joined.

Kathy - 'cairnmom'

Kathy

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 425
CindyA replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 9:18 PM

I'm in Indianapolis.

Finding those quilts that mom started (and a trip to visit the Amish down in southern Indiana may have created a monster! I have never seen so many beautiful quilts all in one place as I did in Wagler's Quilt Shop! I stood in awe at the color combinations, patterns, and just everything about them. I was lucky enough to get to the shop in time to watch about 10 or so ladies working on a quilt. The only bad thing about being there was the fact that I was so busy watching that I didn't ask questions!  :)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 425
CindyA replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 9:22 PM

I enjoyed the class at Joann's. The instructor took her time and made sure that she answered all of our questions and stayed til we all had our block finished. I don't remember the name of the block, but I'm sure that I can find it. We all got a small bag that has about 12 different kinds of batting in them so we can see the differences.

I'll see about creating my blog on here and upload a picture of both of the blocks.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 9:27 PM

Cindy another great place to take some classes online is with Craftsy , there are many of us here that take classes from them  When you buy the class you have it for life and can go to it as many times as you want. Its like having a private tutor .. I have myself about 10 of there classes , there is only one I don't care for but it does have its good points .. Anyway just try and use all your online help you can get ,there is a ton of it out here. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use