Top 10 Posters

So confused on quilt dimensions! Please help!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 20
dpayne posted on Fri, May 24 2013 11:28 PM

I am trying to make a American Flag Quilt that will fit a queen side bed but I am have a really hard time figuring out the dimensions. I want it to look normal and the blue be the correct ratio to the stripes. I already have a lot of my squares cut, they are 3 inches by 3 inches. Please help me out! Thank you!

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
539 Posts
Points 9,385
zoetc49 replied on Fri, May 24 2013 11:48 PM

http://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/standard-quilt-sizes.html

Here is one help, this will tell you the size for your quilt.

You said you cut out 3x3 squares, so given 1/4 inch each size, you need to know how many to use. I am going to try to help, but I am sure someone here will have a quilt calculator and come closer than I can.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
539 Posts
Points 9,385
zoetc49 replied on Fri, May 24 2013 11:52 PM

If you go by 60x80, then I think ( and I am guessing here) using 2.5 ( -1/2 inch on sides) would be 24 blocks across on each row. and 32 long.

I know someone else can figure this out better, this is just a try. I will be interested in what others come up with.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
280 Posts
Points 5,325

dpayne:

I am trying to make a American Flag Quilt that will fit a queen side bed but I am have a really hard time figuring out the dimensions. I want it to look normal and the blue be the correct ratio to the stripes. I already have a lot of my squares cut, they are 3 inches by 3 inches. Please help me out! Thank you!

my quilt program comes up with 36 W x 40 L....Ithats without borders....are you using a border?

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 0
Top 200 Contributor
Female
280 Posts
Points 5,325

dpayne:

my quilt program comes up with 36 x 40 without borders....are you using a border?

newport, tennessee

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 20
dpayne replied on Sat, May 25 2013 8:08 AM

Yes,

I was planning on making a three inch boarder. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
280 Posts
Points 5,325

dpayne:

Yes,

I was planning on making a three inch boarder. 

Are you planning to do the border as part of the flag or will it frame the flag? is this what you had in mind?? It actually came out 39 x40 to get everything even..

newport, tennessee

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use