Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #8

Page 51 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 49 50 51 52 53 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,417 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 11:03 PM | Locked

Bonita,   Sam says thank you very much.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 11:07 PM | Locked

Thanks everyone, Elza is as perfect as can be.  She's sleeping all night except for a feeding in the middle and only fusses if she is hungry, messy, or if someone isn't holding her.  : ).  

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 463
Points 8,810
Jan replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 8:10 AM | Locked

Happy,

While not all boys, my youngest daughter 31 still lives at home.  My son and his wife and daughter moved in for 6 mos, and 6.5 years later when my daughter and her daughter were displaced from a fire I kicked him out.  But the daughter and granddaughter are still here 2.5 years later.  And even though the testosterone is not high, they don't do a thing either!  Best of luck!

Jan

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 454
Points 7,250
Julienne replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 8:16 AM | Locked

Jan:

Happy,

While not all boys, my youngest daughter 31 still lives at home.  My son and his wife and daughter moved in for 6 mos, and 6.5 years later when my daughter and her daughter were displaced from a fire I kicked him out.  But the daughter and granddaughter are still here 2.5 years later.  And even though the testosterone is not high, they don't do a thing either!  Best of luck!

Jan

Boy can I ever sympathize. They always say they are coming back only for a month or two and bam it is a few years or so before the get out. You never really get rid of them cuz they keep coming back LOL.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,562
Points 23,690
Susie replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 8:51 AM | Locked

Holy crud-inga!  Rotary cutters are really sharp!  I was trimming a block last night and my finger was too close to the edge.  You guessed it...tried to make my finger skinnier.  It's STILL bleeding this morning.  And trhobbing!  Dang, but it hurts!  It's hard to type without the left index finger...but I can still sew (once the intense trhobbing wears off anyway).

I am loving all the garden pictgures.  We are hoping to get a house this summer so I can have a garden next year.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,591
Points 75,975
Karla replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 9:14 AM | Locked

I can sympathize...I forgot to close the blade and reached down to grab it to trim a piece and brushed the blade and wow!, paper cut times 100.  I can't really imagine how bad it could be if I had had some pressure applied to it.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 454
Points 7,250
Julienne replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 9:32 AM | Locked

Susie:

Holy crud-inga!  Rotary cutters are really sharp!  I was trimming a block last night and my finger was too close to the edge.  You guessed it...tried to make my finger skinnier.  It's STILL bleeding this morning.  And trhobbing!  Dang, but it hurts!  It's hard to type without the left index finger...but I can still sew (once the intense trhobbing wears off anyway).

I am loving all the garden pictgures.  We are hoping to get a house this summer so I can have a garden next year.

Susie, I have done the same thing and wow does it hurt and depending the size of the cut you may need stitches, so be careful. I learned my lesson after doing it 3 times and having to put a nice band-aid on it. And some aspirin for the pain. Kept right on working tho. Bled like no other tho. Had to keep a box of band-Aids near by. LOL  Hope you feel much better soon!!!!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 9:42 AM | Locked

Hey gals, Fons and Porter does make a "clutz" glove!  LOL  Actually, I can't imagine using a rotary cutter wearing gloves - that would feel so awkward - but they definitely are lethal weapons.  DH cringes when he sees me cutting fabric with my fingers so close to the blade.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 454
Points 7,250
Julienne replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 9:56 AM | Locked

Well to day it is very cloudy out after several days of more rain. I wonder if we will ever see the sun again. It does not help that I have seasonal depression...no sun, no fun... It is making it so I have still not been able to get out there and plant anything, because it is too sopping wet. The place that the flowers are suppose to be planted is all weeded and been rototilled and the barrier has been put down and the decorative stone as been put in place. I have potting soil and mulch just waiting to be used.  Once the ground dries a bit more.

It has been hard to get things completed or even started since my Fiance's kids have arrived. They are 9 and 7. Both severe ADHD. Now I am used to this as my 2 boys were the same, but they are wearing me out. I love them dearly, but oh boy.  It does not help the the DR's have changed my MS meds and I am weaning off one and starting a new one. And they have added Gabapentin to the mix.

Well enough on that, I decided to start a new quilt today. I have been so lost in my sewing projects, I just don't know what to do. I guess I have been in a funk. Time to put on my big girl panties and get back to work.

I hope you all have a wonderful day.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,562
Points 23,690
Susie replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 10:01 AM | Locked

My son asked about wearing gloves and I just kind of giggled.  I don't know if I could do it.  I tried wearing gloves to FMQ and failed miserably.  I'll be ok...not sure they would be able to do more than put some superglue on it to stop the bleeding.  Nothing to stitch, unfortunately.

The one nice thing...my daughter washed my hair this morning for me.  I really, really understand the old days weekly beauty shop appointments.  What a treat it is to have someone do that for you!

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 10:05 AM | Locked

Youch Suzie! No fun! I suspect we've all managed to nick ourselves at least once. I had a friend dropped her open cutter on her foot while she was wearing sandels. That was bad.

'Thought I'd be at work today, but DD got called in so I have no one to watch the boys...  Guess I'll do applience repair on the dishwasher instead. I thought i had it fixed but it's back to it's old tricks. Super hard water and kids who don't properly pre-rince are taking their toll. 'Guess it's time they learn all about rincing when they have to do the dishes the old fashioned way...

We had a happy father's day yesterday with everybody home for a change. After getting some yardwork out of the way we went fishing at his fav. pond. No one landed anything altho they had a few bites (not bad for mid-day). We came home and roasted hot dogs and S'mellows in the burn pit.

The computer was down all day yesterday. I've noticed that it seems to only crash on weekends. What is with that?? I've been backing up all of my important files, as I suspect that this machine will soon be on the trash heap. DD is gonna be lost when she can no longer chat with her friends online...  Heck I'm gonna have an aweful time without my daily fix here!!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,152
Points 17,665
weezee56 replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 10:29 AM | Locked

MNnancy:
Hey gals, Fons and Porter does make a "clutz" glove!
Yes they do, and I have one. If you are right handed you put it on your left hand. It does help. You only wear one on the hand holding the Ruler/ Fabric.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,515
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 10:35 AM | Locked

Susie:
My son asked about wearing gloves and I just kind of giggled.  I don't know if I could do it.  I tried wearing gloves to FMQ and failed miserably.

Susie, I don't know what kind of gloves you tried. There are two kinds for quilters. One is a heavy safety glove that you wear when using your rotary cutter. I've never bothered with one of those. I imagine I'll change my mind if I ever slice and dice one of my fingers.

The other is a very light weight and snug fitting glove with little bumps on them. This one is for Free Motion Quilting. I get them at Joanne's using a coupon and they only cost me about $2.50. Since i started using these for FMQ I don't know how I managed without them as they make it so much easier.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 11:16 AM | Locked

Susie:
I tried wearing gloves to FMQ and failed miserably.

Susie, I'm with Judy T on this one.  It's just a matter of getting used to them, but they do help so very much they are worth every minute of the adjustment period.  I even use them for fmq'g small quilts from baby quilts down to bags.  What they do is give you better grip on the fabric sandwich without stressing your hands and arms (which leads to cramping and sore shoulders and arms).  Be sure you have a pair that are lite-weight, fit snuggly and comfortably and stick with it for awhile.  Before long you will wonder how you ever managed to fmq without them!

Winthrop, WA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 463
Points 8,810
Jan replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 11:18 AM | Locked

I use the "Klutz" glove EVERY time I cut after I cut into my hand, bled for hours, had to have stitches, got infected. . . Then I was cleaning shortly after that and my DGD1 said, if it is supposed to be on your non cutter hand why have I never seen you use it.  How can I teach the teens to be safe if I am not. . .

Jan

Page 51 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 49 50 51 52 53 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use