Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #8

Page 10 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,417 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,365
Points 37,240
Linda replied on Mon, May 27 2013 6:50 PM | Locked

I put up an 8 ft privacy fence around my garden to keep out the deer  and I only plant deer resistant flowers. To keep the smaller critters from eating my flowers I spread mothballs in the flowerbeds as soon as I see signs of their activity. So far so good. I did have a mama deer leave her baby next to my front steps a couple days ago. Looks like a brand new baby.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Mon, May 27 2013 7:12 PM | Locked

Nancy, it is what the call the corrugated plastic panels, it is 6 by 8 ft

Ginny, we got lucky, they gave us a extra piece instead of the usual shorting

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Mon, May 27 2013 7:14 PM | Locked

Linda, what a sweet baby

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,516
Points 25,360
Debbie replied on Mon, May 27 2013 7:40 PM | Locked

I did have a mama deer leave her baby next to my front steps a couple days ago. Looks like a brand new baby.

Linda , OK - I've always been a Paul Harvey fan and want to know the rest of the story - did Mama Deer come back and get the baby?  what happened to him/her?  need details, girl!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 0
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, May 27 2013 7:53 PM | Locked

gini:

"it was a sweet summer evening in june, and i was walking in bear barf with you..........."

Gee Gini, I think you were a little flat on that last high note.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Mon, May 27 2013 9:20 PM | Locked

The mother deer will sometimes leave their fawns for several hours.  We have seen this first hand.  "Bobbie" whom the hunters got last season would sleep for 5+ hours in our car port, then go take care of the little ones. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, May 27 2013 10:03 PM | Locked

Patti:
Our old dog kennel is now our garden area.  Keeps the deer out very well.

Oh, your dog kennel must be quite a bit larger than ours.  

Today I had to put a small fence around the top of the raised bed where my asparagus is growing.  Calley hopped up on it and ate off all the tips that were finally pushing up.  She set the first asparagus harvest back a week, I'd say.  Dumb dog.  We feed her fresh green beans every day.  Now she's developing a taste for asparagus?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,345
Jacy replied on Mon, May 27 2013 11:33 PM | Locked

chocake2:
but her mean ol Momma is about to throw a wrench in the works and force her to clean her room instead.

It must be mean momma day because that sounds just like the job i gave my DS today. He would have been happy to just sit at the computer all day, after all it was a holiday today. Yep, holiday from school I told him, not from chores!

Then the phone rang when I was in the middle of pitting a box of cherries. My hands were busy so one of the kids answered the phone, I heard him talking for a minute then said 6 o'clock and hung up. I asked what that was about, "Oh Tyler (my oldest DS) wanted to know what time dinner was. I had made a big pot of soup for lunch and hadn't planned on doing much for dinner. But now we were having company (he rarely comes home, he only lives an hour away)

I set the rest of the cherries in a bowl and called the kids to come snack on them, 5 of mine and 5 neighborhood kids, And I made the treck to the store for tomatoes so we could BBQ hamburgers for diner. The cherries were pretty much gone when i got back.

That son is 6'2" and skinny as a rail, I made sure to feed him good and send him home with leftovers and a piece of fruit too.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,345
Jacy replied on Mon, May 27 2013 11:46 PM | Locked

That's a cute baby Linda.

We have a deer fence around our garden, keeps big critters out, as long as the kids close the gate that is. When a moose walks in the gate it pretty much rips through the fence to get out. Maybe it would wander back out the gate again if people made less ruckus about it being in there. 

We keep the little critters under control with our cat population, specifically a big male cat named Dude. He hunts mice, birds, chipmunks and squirrels, grouse and even rabbits. I didn't know cats would hunt rabbits but apparently some do.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Tue, May 28 2013 1:00 AM | Locked

Our cats would catch weasels.  8 of them in one year that we knew about.  

Tyler, our bernese mountain dog, watched me pick raspberries, and learned to gently pick them himself, he get one between his teeth and gently pull.  He was such a gentle giant.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,365
Points 37,240
Linda replied on Tue, May 28 2013 1:58 AM | Locked

For all who asked....momma deer came for baby fawn in the night. I think too many kids spotted him during the day. I had to chase off several chldren during the day.

Yesterday I planted more flowers in some of th ebard areas. Today I'k going to try yo sit badk and work in back fl

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,365
Points 37,240
Linda replied on Tue, May 28 2013 6:53 AM | Locked

I think I was falling asleep on the last part of my previous post.....I'm not even sure what I was saying!!! Oooops. I probably shouldn't get on the computer in the middle of the night when I can't get back to sleep after a coughing spell.

Well, today I want to plant some marigolds in some bare spots in my flower bed behind the house and some zinnias by the back door. After that the rest of the day must be devoted to the sewing room. I have a stack of mug rugs to sew bindings on and quilt #4 for the retreat center in AZ I just have to sew the binding to the back and add label.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Tue, May 28 2013 10:37 AM | Locked

Sounds like everyone is busy. It has been raining here for days (very unusual for our area) and my lawn really needed it. I do have flowers to plant and we may have to get wet if it does not stop LOL.

I have today to myself and really should get to the machine but I may have to run to town, we will see - hope you all have a great day!

Linda, your little baby is so cute.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 7,025
Julienne replied on Tue, May 28 2013 11:21 AM | Locked

It has been raining here for days too. I think it has been coming from our direction and moving your way Spudgrandma. We have not been able to dry out enough to get the grass cut so my babies go out to potty and the grass is getting waist high..ok mind you these are toy Shih Tiu's so 8lbs'er can get lost easy. Anyhow..it is starting to get late with trying to get the flowers planted. Sooner or later I will have to invest in a green house. This is getting silly. We never have this kind of weather. We are usually in drought by this time of year.  But is does give me alot of time to sew. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 266
Points 4,965
Lesley replied on Tue, May 28 2013 4:36 PM | Locked

Linda what a privilege that Mama deer chose you to keep an eye on her little one. 

Well I have totally broken my sewing machine!! I was using metallic thread and it got caught somewhere inside so I undid 1 screw and think I managed to remove all the caught thread but then undid another one which was not my best idea! I took it into the shop this afternoon and I have "lost" a little spring. He will try and get it mended and if he can't he will contact Janome to see if they can sort it out. I then decided to ask about the quilting machine I was interested in and yes you guessed it I bought it. No idea how long I will have to wait for it as it is the newest version of Pfaff Expression 4.2 and he has had to order it. So I am machineless always the way when there is so much you want to do!

My car is having a checkup tomorrow as I have had it almost 6 weeks now and that is offered for free so will take about and hour but I will go after work.

Hope you are all safe and well. We had a lovely weekend but today it has been wet again and I think the rest of the week will be too!

Big Hugs xxxxx

Page 10 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use