Top 10 Posters

Nephews quilt?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
2,757 Posts
Points 38,940
ls2116 posted on Tue, May 21 2013 11:54 PM

I have my nephews quilt sandwiched.  I see a motif in a book i want to use should i mark the design on tear away to stitch it on sandwiched quilt?  What are your ideas?

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Points 1,830

Is,

Instead of using tear away, I use the film-like (plastic looking) wash-away.  The needle perforations help turn it  into tear away that won't distort the stitches.  (I use a fine tip black permanent marker to trace the designs and pin the stabilizer to the quilt surface.)  You can also use Press 'N Seal plastic wrap as a cheaper alternative, but that leaves a sticky residue on your needle which has to periodically be wiped off with alcohol...Hope this helps.

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,757 Posts
Points 38,940
ls2116 replied on Wed, May 22 2013 3:25 PM

I wonder if freezer paper could be used or if sewing on that would hurt my machine.  I could press it to quilt top.  Are you taking about something like solvy thin plastic film?  

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,459 Posts
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Wed, May 22 2013 3:35 PM

Is,

I have used freezer paper sheets to quilt motifs to a quilt top.  I printed the design on the sheet, Then I  both pinned and ironed the sheet to the quilt sandwich. I only tried to attach one paper at a time.  It worked fairly well and didn't ruin anything on my quilt at all.  Just remember to iron lightly, just enough to adhere the paper and not crush the batting.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Points 1,830

You can use freezer paper or copier paper with a shorter stitch length, but it's harder to tear away.  Yes, Solvy's thin plastic film works fine.

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use