Birthday Present

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,391 Posts
Points 19,270
Melissa Halpain posted on Mon, May 13 2013 9:56 PM

My DH want to get me EQ7 for my birthday. For those of you that  have this program, is it really worth the purchase? I really, really struggle with the geometric and mathematics of quilting. Will this program help with that? I'm hoping it will help with the next Round Robin I do. Is it helpful with borders also? Thank you in advance any information and help you can give me on this program. Oh yeah, when an upgrade comes out, can you usually get an upgrade easily and for littler cost?

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Female
280 Posts
Points 5,325

Hey Joni...quilt Pro is $129.95 for digital download only....or $144.95 for the digital download plus a CD and users guide......EQ7 is $189.95

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, May 16 2013 7:50 AM

Thanks Jen...I'm going to seriously consider getting one of them.  Need to look up online and see what the advantages are for each.  Actually I prefer to go by comments made by users here on QCA.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
280 Posts
Points 5,325

Joni:

Thanks Jen...I'm going to seriously consider getting one of them.  Need to look up online and see what the advantages are for each.  Actually I prefer to go by comments made by users here on QCA.

Good point...cause you know each website is going to be for the merchandise it's selling but if you can actually hear from people that use it you wil get a better idea of what you want...I do that too..

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,305 Posts
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Thu, May 16 2013 8:50 AM

I bought my QP 6 on April 30th, they had a 30% off sale so got both QP6 and another for $9 less than QP by itself, with book and backup CD.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,426 Posts
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Thu, May 16 2013 10:57 AM

I just got QP6, too, and am still playing with it; however, I just downloaded it on line so I have to read all of the tutorials to figure it out, but I'm getting there.  Can't wait to actually start a quilt using it and letting my creative juices (there aren't too many of them left) really flow.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
23,819 Posts
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Thu, May 16 2013 11:30 AM

I have EQ Stitch on Windows and Quilt Pro on a Mac.

I started with EQ 6. DH got it as a surprise when I mentioned getting the quilting calculator. SInce I'm a Mac user I had to get a PC since I don't want Windows on my Mac. I upgraded to EQ 7 then, recently, to EQ Stitch. I really LOVE this program. I'm happy they added embroidery and the program does basic photo editing for those of you who make memory quilts.

I bought QP 5 for Mac (highest version) from All Brands for $69. It is a nice program and I do enjoy getting the "Block of the Day". I also like Foundation Factory and the Carol Doak titles.

QP for Mac was difficult to learn and I'm still struggling with things like the free-form layout. It's not very intuitive and I haven't gotten much in the way of support from them. (Yes I do have a user manual). I was ready to discourage anyone from QP until I got a chance to play with it on Windows at a retreat. It's much better than the Mac version. Mac support seems very limited.

QP and EQ both offer many add-ons and stand alone programs. However, many QP add ons are not compatible with Mac. QP offers strip piecing charts (EQ doesn't) and it provides you with a cutting chart for the whole quilt and not just one block as does EQ.

QP allows a trial download so you can decide wether or not to commit. Not so with EQ.

I think what it boils down to is that people like the one they got first (if they have both). Personally I think EQ is much more user friendly with their step-by-step lessons right there in the manual, but both programs handle quilt designing quite nicely.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use