Birthday Present

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580
Melissa Halpain posted on Mon, May 13 2013 9:56 PM

My DH want to get me EQ7 for my birthday. For those of you that  have this program, is it really worth the purchase? I really, really struggle with the geometric and mathematics of quilting. Will this program help with that? I'm hoping it will help with the next Round Robin I do. Is it helpful with borders also? Thank you in advance any information and help you can give me on this program. Oh yeah, when an upgrade comes out, can you usually get an upgrade easily and for littler cost?

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,778 Posts
Points 122,345

Melissa Halpain:
My DH want to get me EQ7 for my birthday. For those of you that  have this program, is it really worth the purchase? I really, really struggle with the geometric and mathematics of quilting. Will this program help with that? I

Melissa, I'm not sure what to tell you. I love my EQ7 but there definitely is a learning curve. If you enjoy working on the computer, playing with designs then you may like it. I've taken some classes through Quilt University that have really helped. The tutorials are good, the website has great tips and help also. It just takes some time and patience.

I use it quite a bit to modify patterns, create my own quilt layouts, play with fabrics and combinations. I even put the MQ8 block on EQ7 to play around with different sizes and fabrics for a future quilt.

I do believe the upgrades cost a little less than the original but I haven't gone through an upgrade yet.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Melissa, I to have EQ7 and I love mine , I don't do near the tings that Judy does,  but it comes in really great for patterns and an all kinds of great downloads you can add to it.  I think its a great B-day present.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,575 Posts
Points 26,380
Debbie replied on Tue, May 14 2013 7:02 AM

Melissa, I got a bonus at work and so wanted to buy a quilting program also.  I ended up purchasing Quilt Pro and it does have some add ons and they send out in email a daily block, which can be added to QP but I haven't taken the time to figure it out yet.  I'm just saving them in emails.  so far, it seems to do all the EQ7 does, from what I read on their site but it was not as costly, (which was a big factor in my case).  I got my book in the mail Sat so need to sit down and just learn it but I have scanned in and saved some of my fabric to the fabric library.  I've played around with it a little and like it.  Plan on using it for my next quilt. 

thought I would add my two cents, take it or leave it.  Just giving you another viewpoint. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825

Melissa, nantenn has a  EQ7 that she bought and can't figure out how to work. I you would like you could by hers. , I can't remember how much she paid for it, but she would sell it to you if you like.  If you are interested, friend her. And, she will send you a pm.

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
2,819 Posts
Points 39,825
ls2116 replied on Tue, May 14 2013 8:18 AM

I prefer using design wizard but also have eq7 with applique and so much more fabric.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 150 Contributor
Female
496 Posts
Points 10,000

Melissa Halpain:

My DH want to get me EQ7 for my birthday. For those of you that  have this program, is it really worth the purchase? I really, really struggle with the geometric and mathematics of quilting. Will this program help with that? I'm hoping it will help with the next Round Robin I do. Is it helpful with borders also? Thank you in advance any information and help you can give me on this program. Oh yeah, when an upgrade comes out, can you usually get an upgrade easily and for littler cost?

Hey Melissa, I have never used EQ7, I have looked and researched it online, but I do have QuiltPro6 and absolutely loveit...I design all my quilts on it, it is very user friendly. I love that I can design my own quilts starting with my own designed blocks and see what they will look like using my own material. They have multiple fabrics and blocks (aside from the 1000's that come with the program) that you can download and continually add to the program for free. I started with their basic program called 123 quilt some yrs ago but wanted to be able to do more so 2yrs ago I upgraded to Quilt Pro 6 ...I can't say enough about it...I love it!!! Good luck making a decision

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 75 Contributor
1,514 Posts
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Tue, May 14 2013 10:12 AM

I have a QuiltPro that I've never been able to figure out.  The producers of these things think that if  bought it, you are a computer whiz.  They talk so much in computerease  that it is totally unrecognizable as the English language.  Or maybe it's not in English after all.  Just my own thoughts.  If you are comfortable with the goings on of a computer, go for it.  I'm not comfortable and just couldn't get it so it sits unused.

Diana in East Tn. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
496 Posts
Points 10,000

Diana:

I have a QuiltPro that I've never been able to figure out.  The producers of these things think that if  bought it, you are a computer whiz.  They talk so much in computerease  that it is totally unrecognizable as the English language.  Or maybe it's not in English after all.  Just my own thoughts.  If you are comfortable with the goings on of a computer, go for it.  I'm not comfortable and just couldn't get it so it sits unused.

Diana in East Tn. 

Hey Diana...if you have any questions about Quilt Pro...which it sounds like you do , I would be more than happy to help you with the program..that is if you want to give it a try again...

newport, tennessee

Not Ranked
10 Posts
Points 230
alane replied on Tue, May 14 2013 8:34 PM

I have an earlier version of EQ and I am pretty computer savvy, but honestly I still prefer designing with graph paper and colored pencils. :)

It's awfully nice that your hubby wants to get you something so useful, though!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
496 Posts
Points 10,000

Melissa Halpain:

Here's an example of what you can do with the Quilt Pro...I saw this quilt in the gallery on this website and made my own with the program and now I have a pattern to follow and a guide for how much material I need and it shows me how to cut each block.....

newport, tennessee

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, May 15 2013 10:07 PM

Interesting, Jen.  Looking at that third screenshot, it looks like your program goes a step further than EQ and describes how to assemble  the individual blocks.  EQ provides very little written direction - just fabric amounts and size of pieces to cut.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 150 Contributor
632 Posts
Points 10,935

You all got me to wondering if i need a computer program. There are so many times that I want to change up a pattern to fit a larger bed than what the design calls for. I found this personal review and thought to add this to the talk. I am interested in what everyone here has used as well and what features you find most helpful.

http://piecefulliving.blogspot.com/2010/09/quilt-pro-vs-eq6-and-finsh.html

Top 150 Contributor
Female
496 Posts
Points 10,000

Zoetc49, I read the blogspot you posted and the date on the original post was 3 years ago, since that time Quilt Pro has been upgraded and you can add quilting motifs to your design to see what it will look like and you no longer have to design your blocks to the size they need to be in your quilt..ex: if I am making a quilt with nine inch blocks and I have a need to make a special block, not one that I can pull form the huge block library, and I go into the block design and make my new block but forget to make it a nine inch block no worries...I just save my block to the library then go back to the quilt design page open the block library, find my block and import it to my quilt with one click of the mouse. Also there was another complaint in the blog of this program being hard to use and learn..not so ..when you order it you can request a printed users guide. Another feature I love is that every day I get an email for a new block of the day that I can add to the block library. Also love being able to add my own fabric  to the program, plus you can go to their website and download new fabric collections too...all free. If you have anymore questions about what this program can or cannot do feel free to ask.....I just could not see spending the extra money when the cheaper one does the same thing. Oh and just so you know, for the times you have wanted to make a pattern bigger.. all you would need to do is design your quilt with the size you have then with a few clicks of the mouse and a few redesigns you would have a larger pattern to follow with all info for how much fabric needed and how to cut and piece. My version 6 can even do applique designs, you can design your patterns with straight blocks, diagonal with blocks in corner or sash in corner, blocks on point, freeform, hexagonal, or baby blocks..I am rambling now....sorry I just can't say enough about this..anyway if you have questions I am here.

newport, tennessee

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, May 16 2013 7:35 AM

Can someone give us  an idea of the cost of EQ7 and QuiltPro?  Before I even bother to check them out I want to know the price ranges of these programs.  After reading this thread I'm definitely interested, and Quilt Pro sure sounds fantastic.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use