Top 10 Posters

Finishing the quilt my MIL started many years ago...help!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 365
Points 6,820
greenmonstr Posted: Mon, May 13 2013 5:39 PM

Hi

My in-laws are moving into assisted living.  They have been going through the house and I have accepted a stack of quilt blocks, templates, and fabric that were part of a quilt my MIL had started a long time ago.  I have never done something like this before, piecing someone else's quilt top or doing anything with old fabric.  The fabric is old but in good shape, cotton.  There are a few pieces cut, enough for a Drunkard's Path block, as well as a few squares and rectangles, not sure where she was going with those.  There are 32 completed blocks - enough for 5 x 6 plus two 12" pillows.  That's my plan.  The thing is that five of blocks have been sashed on all four sides already with an off white, which is a good match colorwise but the fabric seems very frail and it is see-through.  I hesitate to sash the whole thing with this fabric.  On the other hand, I hate to rip because I don't want to damage the blocks.  I think I will end up ripping but the next question is will it be okay to sash with today's fabric which is a little more sturdy.  She has a solid blue included which I may use for the border but I don't want to use it for the sashing because it doesn't contrast enough with the blocks, which are pink and blue.  Or I may use it for cornerstones for the sashing.  Anyway, if anyone has any input about this I would welcome it. 

I will say she did a very nice job with the blocks.  Every one of them is 12-1/2 inches.  There won't be any problem putting this together!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, May 13 2013 9:13 PM

I see no reason why you can't use new fabric for the sashing.   Hope you post a pic when you finish.  I bet it will be beautiful.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 100

I agree, using more modern fabircs shouldn't hurt anything.  The only thing I would recommend is that you use a color catcher for the first few washings; older fabrics can sometimes be susceptible to bleeding.

Would love to see the finished product!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 365
Points 6,820

Thanks!  Good advice!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use