Top 10 Posters

Anyone out there who does other arts besides quilts?

Page 2 of 4 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 57 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Wed, May 8 2013 10:37 AM

I have that kind of house you're describing, however I have to share it with DH and 5 kids, and all their stuff too. I dream of the day I'll have a smaller house with less housekeeping required because like many of you I'm not so good at it. And seeing the mess I can make in my little 10x10' sewing room, I'm not sure that it would be good to have an entire house just for quilting. But closets and more wall space in my sewingroom, now that is my dream, as well as a few more hours in each day!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580

Yes, can I be your friend Mz M? Sounds like you have quite the set up.

I can't complain living in SF very close to the beach (gets cold though), I have a glass studio down in the garage (our garage is as big as the whole house).  Our flat is only 2000 square feet though.  My husband has a room for his wood work and one of my sons has 1/2 the garage for his wine and beer making.  He makes awesome wine, has a winery on Treasure Island called Oro En Paz.  Delicious!  Back to me...I now have one of the kids room as my sewing room  instead of always having stuff out everywhere in the dining room.  The other kids room is now a guest room.  My mother in law lives in the upstairs flat so we can take care of her.  Anyway... I end of having a few hours a day to do my crafts at least, thank god.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 435
Points 6,960
Mz M replied on Wed, May 8 2013 1:23 PM

[

Karla:

Mz M:

Oh, to have unlimited monetary resources, a 3000 square foot house with 3 car stall garage, and a workshop all to house my craft interests which include Quilting, Scrapbooking, Card Making, Stained Glass and Cabinet Making. Mind you now, that does NOT include a husband but most definitely a dog and a cat as well as piped in music throughout the house. Adding to all of the above is extra time in each day to do all the things I want. Of course I would share my toys – want to be my friend?

Mz M, this sounds like my dream...a need a 3,000 square foot house, the garage and a workshop, but all of this just for my quilting.  I could also use someone to keep it all clean for me, LOL, because quilting would take up all of my time.

Clean? Really!? OK then, I'll have a clean air system installed so there will be no dusting and someone can cook for me so I won't have to stop what I'm doing, unless of course, I might want to cook now and then. I had a beau in TX who would come over and watch me sew. I was making and repairing the Ice Ray Ice Hockey team mascot's costume and accessories. Should have kept him - the beau who liked to watch me sew. LOL! not many like that around!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 435
Points 6,960
Mz M replied on Wed, May 8 2013 2:20 PM

quiltcraze:

I can't complain living in SF very close to the beach (gets cold though), I have a glass studio down in the garage (our garage is as big as the whole house).  Our flat is only 2000 square feet though.  My husband has a room for his wood work and one of my sons has 1/2 the garage for his wine and beer making.  He makes awesome wine, has a winery on Treasure Island called Oro En Paz.  Delicious!  Back to me...I now have one of the kids room as my sewing room  instead of always having stuff out everywhere in the dining room.  The other kids room is now a guest room.  My mother in law lives in the upstairs flat so we can take care of her.  Anyway... I end of having a few hours a day to do my crafts at least, thank god.

I loved living in the Bay Area and yes you are very fortunate. Nice to have a wine and beer person in the house!! Home brews or local brews are the best! 

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580

Where did you live in the Bay Area?  I live right on the edge of the Presideo so it's awesome for the dogs.  Lots of wonderful places to walk.  

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 185
MARYD-39 replied on Fri, May 10 2013 4:45 PM

I hear you. I used to take care of my Dad until he passed away in 2010. Now that my husband is retired I don't have as much time to do my arts and crafts because I usually take up the dining table. And he likes to be fed regularly too. He does overlook all the dog hair around OR help clean it up because the dog is his too. When he goes fishing I get a day to myself. Luckily summer fishing season is around the corner. I also like to do scrapbooking. One of my problems is which craft to work on!  Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 185
MARYD-39 replied on Fri, May 10 2013 4:52 PM

Yes I would like to be your friend. I would like all those things too. And it would be nice to have a longarm quilting machine! Even better to have one and work with a friend. I have a friend that I walk with twice a week (3 miles each time) which helps to lower the blood sugar and keep me in decent shape. With all the hobbies that I have i am still interested in doing stained glass. Guess I need to take a class next time that it is offered at the junior college.     Mary in Wyoming

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 185
MARYD-39 replied on Fri, May 10 2013 4:59 PM

I used to embroider years ago. My grandmother taught me. She used to sit and embroider almost every evening. I used to knit. My mother taught me one summer when I was ill. I made a sweater for my husband (before we were married) and I haven't really knit much since. I learned to sew doll clothes when I was 8 and I have been sewing ever since. I am a fabricaholic because I just can't resist beautiful fabric. So I have to be a quilter to justify my purchases. I used to work in a fabric shop and spent about 50% of my money right there.               Mary in Wyoming

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, May 10 2013 6:17 PM

I use to do a lot of cross stitch and crochet   but not so much anymore. I do make other little project with my sewing ,  table runners ,book covers  etc,   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 345
Points 5,995
PennyWyo replied on Fri, May 10 2013 6:18 PM

MARYD-39:

I used to embroider years ago. My grandmother taught me. She used to sit and embroider almost every evening. I used to knit. My mother taught me one summer when I was ill. I made a sweater for my husband (before we were married) and I haven't really knit much since. I learned to sew doll clothes when I was 8 and I have been sewing ever since. I am a fabricaholic because I just can't resist beautiful fabric. So I have to be a quilter to justify my purchases. I used to work in a fabric shop and spent about 50% of my money right there.               Mary in Wyoming

Hi MARYD-39!  Where are you at in Wyoming?  I am in Cheyenne; you sound like you may be in Casper. I love all sorts of crafts including scrapbooking, embroidery, knitting and crochet but I can't do everything so quilting has won out!

Penny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Fri, May 10 2013 9:33 PM

I used to do alot of garment sewing but not so much anymore.   I love machine embroidery and enjoy doing hand embroidery.  I used to do alot of crochet but not so much anymore.   Recently learned to do some basic knitting.   Like scrapbooking but my passion is quilting.   Not enough time in the day to do the other things.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 7,025
Julienne replied on Sat, May 11 2013 10:03 AM

I do garment sewing and alterations, I still crochet. I make cards and jewelry, I also do alot of embroidery. I scrapbook as well and I also do family trees. I have insomnia that nothing has been able to cure so I can fit alot into my "days" lol but I mostly quilt and sew. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 7,025
Julienne replied on Sat, May 11 2013 10:06 AM

Julienne:

I do garment sewing and alterations, I still crochet. I make cards and jewelry, I also do alot of embroidery. I scrapbook as well and I also do family trees. I have insomnia that nothing has been able to cure so I can fit alot into my "days" lol but I mostly quilt and sew. 

I still do alot of tatting at night when the house is quite and I don't want to wake anyone up.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,275
Points 173,333
Marie replied on Sat, May 11 2013 10:17 AM

Welcome Beve and MaryD, don't think I've welcomed you yet.  When the kids were little I did many crafts with them, I knit, crochet, cross stitch, needlepoint.  I think I tried every craft out there except tatting.  I started getting into scrapbooking but never went anywhere with it.  I must have at least 10 shoe boxes filled with photos, always wanted to make books for all my children but became overwhelmed with the task of sorting the photos so back in the closet they went.  When quilting came along I pretty much stopped doing anything else but that.  HI, MY NAME IS MARIE AND I'M A QUILTAHOLIC!

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,488
Points 47,805
Frances replied on Sat, May 11 2013 10:22 AM

Quilting seems to take over my life and i rarely do other things, but before Quilting i did Cross-Stich, Card making a little bit of Lace making and Origami.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 35
Page 2 of 4 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use