art quilts

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
71 Posts
Points 4,280
Leilani Banyai posted on Fri, May 3 2013 3:46 PM

I am almost finished another new art quilt. However, this one is a beachside scene. I have never really done a scene with a surf. I would appreciate any tips as regards the multicolours needed to make it appear real and also the possible quilting styles that I could use. Should I use a multicoloured fabric or use multiple strips of various colours. I'm stumped at the mmoment.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
65 Posts
Points 1,265

I think I'd mix a small multi-colored print with some solid strips.  As for colors, I'd use various blues but more seafoam and even light aqua  I'm not sure how you're assembling your quilt but I'd keep the darker shades toward the deeper water and  maybe include some white at the wave-tops, it might add to the real-ness (I made that word up).

Have fun.  Be sure to post your finished art quilt!

jeanne.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
71 Posts
Points 4,280

Thanks Jeannine,

I have been playing with it all afternoon. I think the best is to use one piece of fabric. The piece that I have  is seafoam and multicoloured.  Trying to get the placement of all the little pieces I have is mind blowing. I need to take a class in this sort of thing.The results of the whole piece can be ruined by something such as this.

Thanks for the input. i will do as you suggest and just add a bit of white for the foam.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,399 Posts
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Fri, May 3 2013 11:46 PM

Leilani, I have seen some of your art quilts, when you have posted them in the gallery, and I just checked out your gallery and they are amazing.   I look forward to seeing what you will do with this one. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
905 Posts
Points 16,770

Leilani, love each of your art quilts in your gallery here.  You do wonderful work.  I'm taking a class on Craftsy & have purchased a couple of books on art quilts .  I want to do one of my granddaughter but  I'm still in the planning stages!  I hope mine are as nice as yours.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Leilani, WOW, your quilts are amazing,  I've never done and art quilt but after seeing yours I may have to give one a try. I don't have an answer for you , on your question though ,So good luck ,I look forward to seeing this quilt as well . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
5,109 Posts
Points 109,590

Leilani...You could TEACH a class in art quilting. It amazes me to see you say you need to take one!

One way I have found to add a subtle hint of color is to use fine nylone net as an overlay. If you go to my gallery and look att he fairy quilt you can get an idea of how I do it. The fairy was too bright for a moonlit night so I used a navy blue netting over her to make her look more like it was a night scene. For your foam, you could try using bits of magenta, puple and peach to bring in those hints sunlight.  ....?? It's a thought anyway. Good Luck.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,287 Posts
Points 29,075
Agnes replied on Sat, May 4 2013 9:59 AM

Have you ever used fabric painting to enhance a piece of fabric. Lends itself well to art quilts when you have an almost perfect piece of fabric but would like some highlights. All your art quilts are wonderful. I'm sure this will be just perfect when you're done. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use