Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 140
Jeneral Lee Posted: Mon, Apr 15 2013 5:12 PM

I won this membership to the website, and I am so excited to be here! I am a self taught quilter in Texas, and I learned most of what I know from quilting shows on PBS and then free videos and tutorials online. I love love love piecing, but machine and hand-quilting scare me. I started just making baby quilts and thing them with yarn. I've moved up to stitching straight rows. I hope one day to quilt pretty designs that enhance the tops I work so hard on. Oh, and binding is also a scary thing. I find piecing relaxing and therapeutic, occasionally frustrating, wholly rewarding. I hope to learn a lot and gain confidence here. I am currently obsessed with traditional blocks and blocks that have a history, but I also love the modern quilts and fabrics that are all over today. I have two quilts in the works and two more in the planning stages. Nice to meet everyone!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,179
Points 15,780
Susan replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 5:31 PM

Jeneral Lee:
binding is also a scary thing
                        Welcome, Lee ! Binding was scary for me, too. After 2 years I finally made myself  hand sew the binding and after a couple of times it wasnt so bad. I still do not like the binding part, like you I love the piecing but now I know I can do it. Practice and Im sure you will not find it scary. You will get a lot of help here as everyone likes to answer your questions. They are a great group of quilters.     What is your name ?        Susan North, Florida

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,957
Leslie replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 5:49 PM

Welcome Jeneral Lee

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,289
Points 413,919
gini replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 6:39 PM

welcome to the group jeneral lee. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,582
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 7:03 PM

Welcome Jeneral Lee, you will find this a most helpful site with the greatest quilters who are great at helping and encouraging.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 140

Thanks for the encouragement, Susan! I'm Jennifer Ruggles. My screen name is a nickname my husband gave me. Nice to meet you! 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,406
Points 19,540

Well Jennifer, your nickname is just too cute. Welcome to the group. You will  love it here and get lots of encouragement and help. I've learned so much from this website. Don't forget to post pictures of your quilts. Can't wait to see some of your quilts.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,537
Points 46,655
Debbie-do replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 11:06 PM

Another Texas gal!  Glad you're here, Jennifer.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 991
Points 15,045
weezee56 replied on Mon, Apr 15 2013 11:22 PM

Welcome to the Club, Jennifer, Binding gets easier the more you practice.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,383
Points 360,902
Kris replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 12:49 AM

Welcome Jen,

congratulations on your win. I hope you enjoy it here.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 1:07 AM

Jennifer welcome to the club, How nice to win a membership . WTG. I do hope you will enjoy your time here with us . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,494
Points 30,410
Diana replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 6:00 AM

Welcome Jeneral Lee.   We all had to start somewhere so don't get down on yourself.  I'm also self taught by watching PBS quilt shows.  Eleanor Burns is my mentor...hehehe     I met her 2 years ago here at the Knoxville AQS show and told her my husband blames her for my habit.   I also prefer piecing and the traditional patterns.  I love to do bindings.  I know that when they are done, my quilt is finished.  I'm going to try to start doing some of my own quilting on small quilts.  I have a Bernina with a Stitch Regulator on it so it should help.  I'm going to do some baby quilts to start and then go from there.  Ask any questions because there is always someone who will know the answer.

Diana in East Tn. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 11:07 AM

Nice to meet you, Jennifer!  How lucky for you to win a membership!  You have now joined a large family of friendly quilters.  Sometimes we have regional quilt retreats, so we are starting to get to know one another.  There is a small group of Texas QCA-ers that get together for shopping trips.  You'll have to let them know what part of Texas you're in.

Binding is not one of my favorite parts of quilting, either.  I purchased the Martelli zip bind system which allows me to complete the binding completely by machine.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 315
Tammy replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 8:25 AM

Hi, everyone! My name is Tammy and I'm from Pataskala, OH. My sister in law, from Corning, OH, and myself are VERY NEW to quilting. She just finished a beautiful quilt (her first) from a free pattern from wally world. You wouldn't believe it was her first one by the looks of it. My first, that I'm still working on, is one of those jelly roll race quilts. I just have to quilt and bind it. I'm addicted to fabrics :) I've learned mostly from just doing it and watching tutorials. I machine quilt because I definitely don't have the patience to hand quilt. I'm starting to learn how to do free motion quilting.

The DH and I are empty nesters and I needed something to keep me busy. So here I am. :)

BTW, I do a lot of smiley faces in my posts. :)

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 9:05 AM

Jennifer and Tammy, welcome to you both.  We have a lot of fun here and we all learn so much from each other.  It's a great place to be.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use