In need of Help

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 160
Tina posted on Tue, Apr 9 2013 7:14 PM

I am working on a quilt " America the Beautiful", by McCall 2011.  I would like to add embroidery or appliqué.  Like the school, I like to add children's faces in the windows.  But the window is 2.5 x 2.5, so they would be very small.  The barn, I would like to add a tractor in the back and some chicken, cow and a pig.  I found a cross for the church.  I want my quilt to look like a town.  I have a brother's embroidery machine.  Can I embroidery something that small?  Or should I use appliqué.  Where am I able to buy these ideas.  I am a beginner at quilting and love it.  I am trying to complete the quilt for the fair.  So I pray for some help.  I am a little nerve, asking for help.  Thank you

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,492 Posts
Points 138,338

Hi Tina,

Most of the small machine embroidery designs I've found usually fit into a 4x4 area. That being said, I think if it was me,  rather than searching and searching for the right designs, and possibly trying to re-size them to fit your space,   I'd go with applique. Hope you enjoy the process of making and embellishing your quilt. Your idea to turn it into looking like a town sounds really neat.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 9:48 PM

Tina, private message me your address and I will send you some things, like the farm animals that you may be able to use.   You could actually use photos of real kids, etc, printed on fabric for the kids in the windows, etc. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
588 Posts
Points 10,165

I made a wall hanging for Oprah, yeah I know it never got to her...lol  but,  I did get it to another important person, who in return gave me something wonderful back.. What I did was a school house for African woman, I found fabric that had African woman ( from Africa) that I used inside the windows ( you know Oprah...hey, I tired) . I don't know if this sounds like an idea you can use.

I do love your idea. I hope you will post it here when you get it done.  

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 160
Tina replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 6:45 PM

Patti,

Thank you for your help.  I don't know how to do a private message.  My address is 531 West Garfield   Freeport ILL   61032

I thank all of you for your idea's.

Top 150 Contributor
588 Posts
Points 10,165

Patti, I know you sere sending the message to the other poster but you made me wonder about PM. I sent you one to see if you will get it. It seems that if you click on the picture of the person ( Avater...sp?) then it will open up , then you find " start a conversation" and that is your PM.

You just taught me something to look into--thanks!

Oops, I just saw that was Tina ...but I still sent the PM to you Patti  ...LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:24 PM

I wrote down your address Tina.  You might want to delete it now.  It's a public forum and you may not want it known. 

I have some really cute fabric with lambs, chickens, pigs, geese.  With the type of background that would be easy to applique or piece into something.  If the size is right. 

To private message, click on the red name or the avatar of the person you want to send a message to.  You will see their page and sometimes can just send a message, or you may have to request them to be your friend first.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
2,659 Posts
Points 37,415
ls2116 replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 12:22 AM

I'm not sure but I guess you could shrink the childrens faces using the printer setting hope this helps.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use