Top 10 Posters

how do youtell polyester fabric from cotton?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo posted on Sat, Apr 6 2013 10:57 AM

Some time ago, back in 2011 I think, there was a post on how to tell whether a fabric of unknown content was mostly or all cotton or polyester.  This was in reference to  either inherited or donated fabric.  Burning a small piece of the fabric was involved.  I would like to review this post as I cannot remember all the particulars.  Can anyone tell me where to find it or how to find it?  Or perhaps just repeat it here for me?

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
936 Posts
Points 15,850

Hi Flojo -

I don't know where to find the post you mentioned but this is what i do.  I cut a small (2"sq) piece of fabric, stand at the kitchen sink where I have access to water (if for some unknown reason I would need it) and strike a match to a corner of the fabric.  If it is cotton, it will burn evenly, if it is polyester, it will melt.

I definitely have discarded fabrics from my sewing room after doing this test.

MargeP

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
81 Posts
Points 1,095

I think I remember from college (which was a long time ago) that nail polish remover will melt polyester.  Anyone else know if that is so?  I think it will clean melted poly blends off your iron too.  Again, it's been a looonnnnng time.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 150 Contributor
Female
425 Posts
Points 9,220
Pamela replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 10:42 AM

Marge P:
 If it is cotton, it will burn evenly, if it is polyester, it will melt.

Yes, this is also my understanding.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
69 Posts
Points 1,580

Marge P:

Hi Flojo -

I don't know where to find the post you mentioned but this is what i do.  I cut a small (2"sq) piece of fabric, stand at the kitchen sink where I have access to water (if for some unknown reason I would need it) and strike a match to a corner of the fabric.  If it is cotton, it will burn evenly, if it is polyester, it will melt.

I definitely have discarded fabrics from my sewing room after doing this test.

MargeP

I do this, too. I also have been know to test my clothing this method (with a small piece from a facing or something) if the tag is missing or faded. I like to thrift store cruise and my clothes for work have to be cotton - no synthetics allowed (to help avoid static).  

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use