Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 464
Points 9,330
tnmtgrl Posted: Fri, Apr 5 2013 10:29 AM

I am curious if anyone out there has the TRUE SHARP POWER SHARPENER for rotary blades and if it really works and is it worth the $50 it costs?....I am so tired of buying blades for my rotary cutter, I have a hand sharpener but it does not work good at all. Would it be worth it to get one or should I just use my $50 to buy new blades?

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 12:06 PM

I also am looking for a dependable good blade sharpener.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,580

I have only the manual Tri-Sharp. Not impressed at all. It will work well enough to allow me to finish whatever I'm doing, but is a poor substitute for a new blade. I'd sure be interested in a really good sharpener if there is such a thing out there!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 790
Points 20,040
Carol replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 7:10 PM

quiltcrone:

I have only the manual Tri-Sharp. Not impressed at all. It will work well enough to allow me to finish whatever I'm doing, but is a poor substitute for a new blade. I'd sure be interested in a really good sharpener if there is such a thing out there!

Yes, there is one here--his name is Rick and he and his wife own a local quilt shop!  LOL  That is the only one I've found that actually makes the blades work like new, and I don't know what kind of sharpener he uses,  just know he does a good job!  I thought the only way was to keep buying new blades until he came along, so I know what you mean.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,209
Points 16,230
Susan replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 7:18 PM

Jen, Have you tried the blades at Harbor Fright they are very cheap and mine have all worked well. Some like them some dont, but there worth a try for 2 for $3.00   I have not had any luck with a blade sharpener. Im sure there is someone here who can help.    Susan

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 464
Points 9,330
tnmtgrl replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 10:33 PM

Thanx for all the replies...after reading the customer comments for the True Sharp  I have decided not to venture into it....very poor comments about it on all sites....oh well...I am interested in the Harbor Freight ones though....will definitely take a look...my JoAnns in FL used to have a guy come in and sharpen scissors once a month....I wonder if they do it here at my store in TN and if he would do my rotary blades?...I'll have to check into that........

newport, tennessee

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 464
Points 9,330
tnmtgrl replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 10:43 PM

went to the Harbor Freight site and could not find any rotary blades..maybe they don't have them anymore

newport, tennessee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 11:08 PM

Susan :

Jen, Have you tried the blades at Harbor Fright they are very cheap and mine have all worked well. Some like them some dont, but there worth a try for 2 for $3.00   I have not had any luck with a blade sharpener. Im sure there is someone here who can help.    Susan

Sorry, but I'm in the "some dont" column!  I bought a bunch of them last year on sale based upon conversation here and have really regretted it.  They do not cut my fabric well at all...literally shred it more than cut it.

It may be because I'm left-handed (DH always blames everything on that)...LOL!  But, they do not work for me...period.

If someone wants to send me $2-3 for shipping I will be happy to mail them all the blades I have that are unopened.  I would be happy to be rid of them!!!  Just pm me!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,883
Points 367,027
Kris replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 11:53 PM

tnmtgrl:

went to the Harbor Freight site and could not find any rotary blades..maybe they don't have them anymore

They are Carpet Cutter Replacement Blades.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:59 AM

Jen they are carpet blades, but they are the same thing ,So check for carepet blades two to a pack and they are not expensive ,work well ,sometimes thoug you will get a bad blade but its rare. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 464
Points 9,330
tnmtgrl replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 7:25 AM

thanx again for everyones input...I did find them this morning at the Harbor Freight site but they are too small....my cutter is a 60mm and the blades are only 1 3/4" across...my cutter is an Olfa that opens and closes and if the blade is only 1 3/4" it will not extend out enough past the face of the cutter...but thanx for the suggestion...I did find a 5 pack of blades on Amazon for about $25 which I thought was great considering everywhere else they are around $55...I have a wish list going for things I need I'll just add that to it.

newport, tennessee

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,556
Points 51,395
Ginny replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 7:54 AM

Boy  Barbara, you must have gotten more lucky than I did when I bought the blades at Harbor Freight.  I bought 3 packages of them and none of them were any good.   I finally went to the LP Sharp site and ordered my blades. I get pure olfa blades there for a fairly cheap price.  And I can get the larger size 60 mm there too.     Ginny

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,294
Points 29,260
Agnes replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 8:57 AM

Ginny:
I finally went to the LP Sharp site and ordered my blades.

I always use these folks now when I need blades. They will knock a buck a blade off if you return blade for blade, no matter size or manufacturer. Site addy: http://www.lpsharp.com/3.html

I make sure I order enough in advance to never have to buy blades anywhere else. Local price is almost triple what the blades from LP Sharp cost me.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 705
Points 17,570

I also use the Harbor Freight blades.  They work perfectly in my Olfa straight handle cutter, but the Fiscars curved handle cutter doesn't like them for some reason -- but then again I don't really like that cutter either.   I read somewhere that you can extend the life of blades by taking them out and turning them around, and it seems to work for me. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 9:56 AM

Donna B:

Susan :

Sorry, but I'm in the "some dont" column!  I bought a bunch of them last year on sale based upon conversation here and have really regretted it.  They do not cut my fabric well at all...literally shred it more than cut it.

It may be because I'm left-handed (DH always blames everything on that)...LOL!  But, they do not work for me...period.

If someone wants to send me $2-3 for shipping I will be happy to mail them all the blades I have that are unopened.  I would be happy to be rid of them!!!  Just pm me!

I, too, am among those who don't like Harbor Freight blades.  They were very oily and not as sharp as the Olfa or Fiskars blades.  They were returned.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use