rated by 0 users
This post has 88 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,837
Points 366,182
Kris replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 9:08 PM

Sheesh Sandy,

I hope you can get some satisfaction from Viking. How annoying to have a machine that won't do what it's supposed to.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 9:10 PM

Sandy

I too hope you get a satisfactory response from Viking.  That is really sad that you have a new machine that doesn't work like it is supposed to.... wishing you luck on your endeavors.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 1,930
Priscilla replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 10:32 PM

Singer: I had no luck here. Only lasted a week. One week. The vintage models are nice.

Husqvarna Viking: Lasted one year. I would not recommend viking.

Megaquilter: Nothing but problems. Lots of down time and a lot of thread breakage.

Janome: My best machine so far. It is almost two years old. I have never had a problem with it and it's quiet. Runs smooth. The only thing that could  be a little better is it could run faster.  It might be the model. DC2007LE. I do recommend it if your not in a big hurry while you sew. I will stay with this brand because it is Priscilla Proof. I am hard on machines and not just sewing machines. I  go over the pins. I rarely break threads or have bobbin problems. So far not one single problem.

Good luck with your machine shopping.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

MNnancy:
Janome users - did I read correctly that the 1600 does not have the ability to drop the feed dogs? 

Nancy, I don't know if this is true or not, but with my previous machine I could not drop the feed dogs. There is a plate you can buy, or at least you could for the Babylock, put it over the feed dogs, and then free motion away. I can't imagine that Janome doesn't have the same attachment.

I, however, have the MC6600P which I dearly love! It is so easy to use and has everything I wanted in a machine - including being able to drop the feed dogs. :-)

Sandy, sorry to hear about your machine. Viking has such a great reputation, I can't believe they'll just blow you off.

Gillette, WY

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 285
Points 7,035
Shellie replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 11:05 PM

MNnancy:

Janome users - did I read correctly that the 1600 does not have the ability to drop the feed dogs?  That wouldn't work well on a frame then, would it?  The 6600 sounds like it would, but I'll bet it's lots more expensive.

You did read correctly, the 1600 does NOT have the ability to drop the feed dogs.  There is a plate cover that comes with the free motion foot that covers up the feed dogs.  My husband bought me this machine last Fall, and I spent the extra money for the special cover and foot so that I could use it on my quilting frame.  The machine turned out to be a real lemon!  I spent a week working on the darn thing and could never get it to free motion quilt correctly (the tension settings were all messed up when it came out of the box  and it was brand new).  I finally got it to sew correctly, but never could get it to quilt correctly so we returned it and am still looking for a mid-arm machine to use on the frame.  I love my mechanical Janome, but I would never buy another 1600 as it was nothing but a problem for me.

Shellie - south central Washington state

Linaria Dalmatica Designs

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 255
Jen replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 11:12 PM

Suz~

I have to say that I hope you are able to find a machine that you like.  I bought a Bernina 440QE almost a year ago and I am IN LOVE with it!!  It sews like a dream and the information that the company gives you is just fantastic.  Their website is chucked full of sewing information of all kinds. 

They run some really spectacular deals on their machines.  I actually got the embroidery module and 500 embroidery designs for free when I purchased my machine last year.  I was so excited!! 

I hope that helps a little and good luck!

Jen

Jen in Western PA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 11:24 PM

Jen

That is wonderful information.  I have always heard that Bernina is a good company.

Also see that this is one of your first posts so I would like to welcome you to the site.  Browse and find all the wonderful that QCA offers.  Go over and check out the groups ... we have 3 great projects is the works that you might enjoy. We also have a MQ starting in just a few days and we would love to have you join us.  We love meeting new people and enjoy hearing about you and your quilting.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 9:36 PM

Jen:
I bought a Bernina 440QE almost a year ago and I am IN LOVE with it!!

Welcome to QCA, Jen!  I too have the Bernina 440QE and have found it to be troublefree.  Now I'm in the market for a machine with a bit more throat space than the 440's embarrassing 7.5 inches to put on a frame for free motion quilting.  I can't afford a mid- or long-arm.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 9:44 PM

Nancy

I purchased the Bernina 450 Aniversery Edition Bernina today with the embroidery module.  It will be ready for pickup in a couple weeks when tax refund comes in.  I also looked at the QE but opted for the wider stitch capability on the 450.  Otherwise they are essentially the same machine.  Am so excited.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 9:52 PM

Oh, do you have the ability to stitch as wide as 9 mm?  The QE only goes to 5.5, and I have at times wished it would go wider.  Smart purchase on your part!  Is the throat space the same?  I know Bernina's new 800 series has a very generous throat, but it costs a pretty penny.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 9:58 PM

The throat space and everything is the same as the QE.  It just has the ability to sew the 9mm as opposed to the 5.5mm.  I decided I would rather have that additional width and forego the stitch regulator that was included with the QE.  But since I do all my FMQ on the frame with my midarm I decided I didn't need the stiich regulator and of course if I ever change my mind I can always purchase it seperately.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

Nana:
I purchased the Bernina 450 Aniversery Edition Bernina today

Nana, congrats on the new machine.  I bet the next two weeks will seem like two months!   I can't wait to hear all about your new baby.

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 5:19 PM

Sandy thanks.  I have this vision of a crazy quilt in my future using all the really neat decorative stitches on the new Bernina.  Can hardly wait to play with it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,837
Points 366,182
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 5:58 PM

I've been looking at the Bernina website. I like the 820. I'll go see it at the local dealer tomorrow if i remember.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 6:24 PM

Kris

I liked the 820 too.  But it was way out of my price range. 

Vinton, Virginia

Page 5 of 6 (89 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use