rated by 0 users
This post has 88 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 9:21 PM

Sandy H.:
I can now see a frame and dedicated DSM in my future. 

How soon do you think you'll buy one?  We'll have to compare notes as we start looking around.  I think I'd like to buy from a store instead of online in case I need help with the frame or service on the machine.  I found a store about two hours from here that sells the Grace Pinnacle which looks like a very nice frame. At half the price, the Grace MiniPinni might be big enough for me, though.

http://graceframe.com/gfxoops

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 9:29 PM

One suggestion:

Make sure whatever frame you get can accommodate a larger machine should you decide to upgrade your machine later. You wouldn't want to have to purchase another frame.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 12:44 PM

MNnancy:
How soon do you think you'll buy one? 

It probably won't be right away Nancy.  I am currently unemployed and I still have the problem of where to put it.  But I can certainly start looking.  I would also prefer to buy from soneone who can help me with any problems so would like to get frame and DSM at the same place.  I noticed that the Pfaff/Brother dealer here has a frame set up in their showroom but I didn't look at it too closely.  I'll check that out the next time I'm there.  I'm also going to a quilt show this Friday and maybe they will have something there to check out.

I looked at the Magic Joy website and it looks a little complicated to tackle without back-up.  I'll have to look at the Grace site too.

I was telling DH about it last night and told him how much Kris' set-up cost.  He said that sounded pretty reasonable, but then in the past I had told him about the Stattler and Gammill, so of course he likes the idea of $2000 versus $20,000!! LOL

At least now I feel like it is an attainable dream.

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:12 PM

Sandy

That is definitely the way to handle DH.  Give them sticker shock with the big ones and then find one that will do what you need and he will think the price is a real steal......LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,679
Points 248,642
Thea replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 2:42 PM

Sandy , Are you thinking of getting a long arm...how fantastic for you!  I still think that that will be something way in teh future and I do like that one that is a sit down one.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 6:54 PM

Sandy H.:
I looked at the Magic Joy website and it looks a little complicated to tackle without back-up.  I'll have to look at the Grace site too.

Sandy,

I put the whole thing together by myself. It really wasn't difficult. The instructions are very clear and there's a video demonstration with one person (a woman) doing the assembly.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:29 PM

Nana:
Give them sticker shock with the big ones

Well, that wasn't the plan when I did it, but if it works out that way ... great!  LOL

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:30 PM

Althea :
Are you thinking of getting a long arm

I'm going to do a little research, but it will be a while before I can make it happen.  Never hurts to look does it?

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:32 PM

Kris:
I put the whole thing together by myself.

Thanks, Kris.  That makes it sound less intimidating. 

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 8:57 PM

Sandy

Even the really big frames that look really complicated are very easy to put together.  Usually the only reason you would need help is to maybe hold something in place until you can attach it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Feb 25 2010 10:35 PM

Kris:
Make sure whatever frame you get can accommodate a larger machine should you decide to upgrade your machine later.

That's a good point, though with my Bernina being just under two years old, and a new machine to be purchased with the frame, I can't imagine being able to afford another new machine anytime in the near future.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Thu, Feb 25 2010 10:37 PM

Nancy

That may be true but you never know when you might run across that awesome deal for a bigger machine.  And the frame should last for a very long time.  In fact the frames usually will outlast the machines.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

Well, I'm sorry to report that the problems with my new Viking (that I talked about earlier in this thread) have not been fixed.  I sat down yesterday prepared to spend the day FMQing on the pile of tops that I have only to have the same problem with the bobbin thread hanging up.  It worked fine for about an hour and I was so excited that it was finally repaired then it jammed up.  I cleared the jam, started again and it went for just a few minutes and jammed again.  Did it to me about 5 times before I gave up in frustration.  I'm going to send a letter to Viking and see what kind of response I get, but I'm not expecting much. 

I put my FMQ aside and got my Featherweight out to piece my Downey Quilts for Kids top.  What a pleasure it was to use a machine that is not so finicky.  Made me feel better just using it.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 8:56 PM

Sandy, how disappointing and frustrating for you!  I'm going to cross Viking off my list based on your tales.

Janome users - did I read correctly that the 1600 does not have the ability to drop the feed dogs?  That wouldn't work well on a frame then, would it?  The 6600 sounds like it would, but I'll bet it's lots more expensive.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 9:05 PM

:-(  Bad Viking, bad!   I'm sorry your machine is being a pill - I hope Viking is willing to do soemthing about this.  At least you have a back up and can work on something else while you wait.

Page 4 of 6 (89 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use