Page 2 of 6 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 88 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 9:18 AM

I know what you mean about the prices! I would love to have a mid or long arm some day, but not only do I need to save up my money, I have to figure out where I would put the thing. My sewing room is too small and we have so much "stuff" in our basement already.  Some day...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 11:01 AM

Eileen

We ended up knocking out a wall between our laundry room and a storage/extra bedroom so that I would have enough space to set up the frame for the midarm.  I was determined....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 3:46 PM

My machine has a 10" throat so it would probably work really well but my problem will be space.  My DH offered to let me take over the family room for my sewing space, but there is no storage area and no doors.  I wouldn't be able to close the door on my mess!  I'll have to wait for a while on a frame but I can start researching and then I'll know what I want when the $$ and space come along.

Thanks Nana for the info on how you power your machine on the frame.  I have enough trouble controling my stitches when I'm sitting down ... I could never do it standing up!

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 3:51 PM

Sandy

It doesn't take long at all to learn how to control the stitch length when you are standing up.  I think it is a lot easier to control when I am moving the machine versus trying to move my quilt.  I never got the hang of FMQ when I tried to move the quilt under the needle.  Too much weight with all the quilt.  The machine will move with the slightest touch of the fingers....really easy to quilt this way.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 4:14 PM

I was looking, AGAIN, at those Grace frames on which you can put any domestic machine. They are much more affordable than something like the HQ16 setup at my LQS.  Although I love my Bernina, it has a ridiculously small throat.  What types of DSMs are dependable, not too expensive, capable of doing free motion, and have a decent throat space?  I found a listing for the Pinnacle Grace frame sold with a Janome 1600 with 9" throat for under $3000.  I think some of you have spoken favorably about the Janome 1600, but is 9" enough on a frame?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 4:17 PM

Nancy

I don't know alot about the 1600 but a 9 inch throat will work nicely on the frame.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 4:22 PM

Really?  Can you work with a queen size quilt on that?  (I don't see myself making anything bigger than that.)  I'm really excited to think a frame might be within my reach!  I've been put off by the packages at the store - up to $20,000 for an Avante, deluxe frame, software, etc.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 4:25 PM

Nancy

My machine has a 9 in throat and I quilt up to King size (120 - 124 inches) on mine.  I have had to turn the quilt around a couple times because It was so thick that I couldn't roll the whole quilt into the machine throat.  I have never had to turn my queen size.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 4:38 PM

Nana, what kind of machine do you have?  Do you keep one machine on the frame and another for piecing, or do you move one back and forth?

Sandy, what machine do you have with a 10" throat?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

MNnancy - My Janome 6600 has a 9" throat.  I have had it for a few years now and love it.  Wish I had a quilting frame too, but then I don't know where I would put one.  I have already taken over one of our spare bedrooms with my sewing.  I don't think DH would give me another one.  :o)

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 4:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Marge.  Does it have a stitch regulator or do you know if one is available?  That's one feature on my Bernina that I really love when I do free motion quilting.   It's a good sign that you've had this model for years and it is still available.  I would think if it had proven to be an unreliable model, they wouldn't still be making them.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

DUH!  I honestly don't know if it has a stitch regulator.  I haven't really played with a lot of the bells and whistles on the machine.  I guess now that I have been so rudely retired by my employer and have lots more time to sew, I should spend some time with my instruction book and see what this puppy can do.  I have just recently been trying to learn how to free motion quilt with it.  Now it does have a little doohickey on it the is sort of a speed regulator.  You set it at a certain level and no matter how hard you press on the foot pedal, it will only go so fast.  There is someone else on QCA that has a 6600 but I don't remember who it was.  She may know the answer to your stitch regulator question. 

Now I did buy a Janome Harmony 9102D serger on a whim one Sat. at Hancocks and that model doesn't even come up on the Janome website.  Maybe it was a special nodel only made for Hancock's or something.  I just wanted to get a serger to see what they would do and didn't want to invest a whole lot of money.   

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 5:11 PM

Nancy

I have a KenQuilt 622 that came with a 12ft frame.  It is designed to be strictly a midarm.  I was able to get a really good deal on it because it was a trade in model that they refurbished.  It is a very heavy machine and stays on my frame.  I think even if I had bought a frame to be used with a DSM I would make sure I was able to have a designated machine to put on my frame.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 5:17 PM

Oh, that's right, I now remember you mentioning that KenQuilt on another thread.  I can see the advantage of having a designated machine on a quilting frame.  It's certainly an extra expense, but in my case, as I said, my main machine simply doesn't have the throat space.  I didn't know enough about what my quilting needs would be when I bought it.

- - - - - -
Edit: Oh goodness, it was this very same discussion when you mentioned the KenQuilt.  I haven't been back to reread page one since I logged in today, and with all our discussions, it's hard to remember where anything was said.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 5:38 PM

Nancy

It is ok.  I really don't mind answering questions.  I don't even mind answering the same question.  I know how hard it is to keep up with everything on here.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 2 of 6 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use