Page 1 of 6 (89 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 88 Replies | 9 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 325
sgillet@ctesc.net Posted: Wed, Feb 10 2010 9:33 AM

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question regarding Brother 6000D. I am still undecided. I live in a rural area and am far away from any dealer. My closest major town in San Antonio, TX. We have a quilt shop in a nearby small city who sells Brother. Does anyone know who makes Babylock and where it is made? I was very set on the Janome 11000 SE until I experienced the Brother in Austin. I am pretty open minded but had been so happy with the Janome I was sure I would love it. My main concern is being able to quilt a block with the embroidery hoop. I had gotten a Handi Quilter II for Christmas two years ago and in was in the process of building a home (with a sewing studio!) at the time so it has never been out of the box. The salesman in Austin told me I wouldn't be happy with it as there is such a small area available to quilt on. Tht was disappointing. Of course, he said I should buy the Tin LIzzie. I am not a rabid quilter meaning I don't turn out very many like some of you more industrious ladies and gents. I am a very interested  in quilting  with several ongoing projects. The quilting part daunts me as I hate the fighting wit h the quilt on my regular machine. I am going to find a Baby Lock dealer and see that machine that I was told about in a  recent post. Of course, after bragging on my Janome Memorycraft 9000, it went kaflooey the other day. Never had a moment's trouble with it in 11 years and now the bobbin is jumping up and down and clattering. After spending several frustrating hours of messing with it ( I am a pretty good machine mechanic as I work on Featherweights at our workshop for charity) frequently, but this was puzzling to me. Wish me luck on the repair bill! Thanks again for all the input regarding various machines! Suz

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,698
Points 436,385
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 10 2010 9:57 AM

sgillet

You may be pleasently surprised with your handiquilter.  I have a kenquilt midarm on the frame and it has a 9 in throat space.  I don't have a large quilting area but I love quilting on it.  It is so much easier than fighting a quilt under a domestic. Good luck on your sewing machine search.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Feb 10 2010 8:57 PM

Oh my goodness, Suz, I would be tickled to have a Handiquilter!  Get it out of the box!

Nana, what's a kenquilt?  I'm still new to quilting, but I so agree with both of you about quilting on a domestic.  That's what really slows me down.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,698
Points 436,385
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 10 2010 9:19 PM

Nancy

KenQuilt is a brand.  They also make longarms.  All of their machines come with either a 12ft or 14ft frame.  I love the machine just wish it was larger but I bought what I could afford.  And love being able to quilt on a frame....so much easier.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,383
Points 360,902
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 11 2010 11:28 PM

Suz,

is the HQ II the portable frame or did you get a machine? The portable frame works great. I almost got one after a trial but I ended up buying a New Joy frame because I got a good deal for it and a machine. My machine is a Babylock QCP. It only has a 9" throat like Nana's machine but it works well on the frame.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:02 PM

I've never looked much at frames so I have what may be a dumb question.  Can I put my DSM on a frame and use it like a LA?  Is that what they call a mid-arm?

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,809
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:05 PM

Sandy, you can get frames to use with a DSM, like the Grace company makes - I'm sure there are others.  A midarm is bigger (throat space) than a DSM but not as big as a longarm. It's the same concept as a longarm, though (used for quilting, has a special frame...).

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:07 PM

So the frame would be like a LA with separate rolls for the top, ,batting, and backing?  You would mount your machine on the frame and use your foot pedal and learn to quilt standing up?

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:09 PM

Deleted.

Darn ... another duplicate post!

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,809
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:14 PM

That sounds like an accurate description.  There are newer frames (I think mid & long arms) you can use while sitting down - they might have special tables. 

There are also framing systems like the Flynn system (discussed on another thread) that are designed for use with a DSM - these are set up to use on your sewing table or another table (dining room, maybe) you already own. Once at a quilt show I saw some sort of set-up that put the DSM on a bed/mini table with rollers, which you then moved to do the quilting - this was too odd for me.

Here's the Grace quilting company site - at least you can see some photos and get an idea.  You could also search for long arm and mid arm quilting machines for more.  I know seeing them in use is helpful, but this is a start & I hope it helps :-)  Maybe there are some videos or programs on QNNTv with the various set-ups, too.

http://www.graceframe.com/gfxoops/

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,698
Points 436,385
Nana replied on Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:17 PM

Eileen

Actually some of the newer DSMs have the same throat space as my midarm.  I can not remember which DSM I looked at that had a 9 in throat which is the same as my midarm.  If one that size was put on a frame it would work really well.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:20 PM

Thanks Eileen.  As I begin to complete more tops I realize that taking them all to a LA will be too expensive.  I will have to look into this.  I appreciate your help.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,698
Points 436,385
Nana replied on Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:20 PM

Sandy

Most of the carriages that you put your machine on to use with the frame has a power source in the handle so you don't need your foot pedal.  It is all controlled by the handles that you use to move the machine over your quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,809
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:22 PM

Great, Nana! I knew I was missing info :-)  Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,698
Points 436,385
Nana replied on Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:27 PM

Eileen

You are welcome.  I spent over a year researching mid arms and longarms before I purchased.  I would have loved to be able to afford one of the big longarms however their price is astronomical.  Someday I would like to upgrade to at least a 16 in throat space but that will be at least another year.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 6 (89 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use