Design Wall

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
23 Posts
Points 235
Lainey Irvine posted on Mon, Apr 1 2013 5:36 PM

I am just the luckiest girl in the whole world. I am having a sewing room built just for me. I want to have a permanent design wall. Looking around people recommend polystyrene sheets covered with flannel. My husband thinks that putting pins into the foam will break it down. Mostly things will stick to the flannel but at times I have had to pin blocks into my previous hanging sheets to make a decision on block placement etc and the blocks are too heavy to stick. Has anyone tried polystyrene or is there anything else I could look for? I am looking at least big enough for a queen sized quilt and it will be permanently fixed to the wall.

I am so  looking forward to a 6m x 6m square space just for me and lots of shelves and cupboards.

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,110 Posts
Points 110,300

Lainey Irvine:
Looking around people recommend polystyrene sheets covered with flann

I didn't want the polystyrene sheets so I found a very large corkboard at a thrift shop. Removed the frame and attached it to my wall. I put the flannel design wall over that. I actually bought a Fons and Porter design flannel with a 50% discount at Joanna's a few years ago. I really like that it has grids marked on it. But that's not essential and plain white flannel would work just as well.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

When my design wall was done we used ceiling tile material.  I think they are 2 x 4.  When I have a section of quilt to hang I use T-pins to hold in place.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,642 Posts
Points 61,860
Jacy replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 7:03 PM

Lainey Irvine:
Looking around people recommend polystyrene sheets covered with flannel. My husband thinks that putting pins into the foam will break it down.

Lainey, My design wall is a wood frame with the polystyrene foam sheets, about 1" thick, then the whole thing is covered with white flannel. I've used it for at least 5 years and I've had no trouble with the foam breaking down. Things stick to it really well, I usually use pins when I have larger blocks, rows sewed together, etc.  Mine is 7x8feet, there have been many times I wish it were bigger.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,110 Posts
Points 110,300

Jacy:
Mine is 7x8feet, there have been many times I wish it were bigger.

If I had the room, I'd want a design wall 100 x 100. Now, I imagine Nana would need one at least 150 x 150. (snicker snicker)

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Not Ranked
Female
23 Posts
Points 235

It looks like the polystyrene has it. The walls are 8 feet high so I will go with 8 ft square. That will cover most sizes. I am thinking of a pale grey. My previous wall was white and it sometimes didn't work. I have just been out ordering windows for my new room. Nice wide ones to go around the corner where I will have the sewing machine. The design wall won't have windows as it has the rain forest against it and no light will get in anyway. This is going to be some much fun getting everything organized. Thanks everyone.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,110 Posts
Points 410,934
gini replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 8:30 PM

I used insulation sheets, the stuff with the shiny silver side.   Sam screwed them to the wall. They were cheap and easy.

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
280 Posts
Points 5,325

I just bought some flannel and tacked it to one wall in my sewing room....works great..

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:18 PM

I had 2 of those cutting boards made back in the 60's They are 6'x3'.  I attached them to the wall to make a 6x6 area that I then covered with flannel.  I used light gray flannel because white seemed to interfere with the design process when I was making a quilt with a lot of white in it.  The gray is more neutral and tends to not register so much when you have a blank space where you have not placed a block. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use