Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia posted on Thu, Mar 28 2013 2:59 PM

Ok, so the guys have Ginger or Maryann?

The ladies have Redford or Newman?

So how about quilters questions in the same tone?

Since joining your great resource here I have found two new forms (or patterns I guess is the better word) for quilting that I absolutely LOVE.  I can't decide which I like more, so I wonder what you all think?

I know there are so many other combos, but for now I wonder:

Bargello or One Block Wonder?

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:04 PM

applique !!!   :  )

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 4:18 PM

Jenia

I love the look of the bargello but haven't made one yet.  I have done several one block wonders.  I love that technique.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 4:19 PM

Gini

That wasn't one of her choices....ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
606 Posts
Points 10,495

I have done two Bargello " with a twist" quilts and I am working on one more. I have not done the other. I will add that doing the Bargello I MUST use a design board !! It can get very tricky. Using a desing board makes it eaiser.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,398 Posts
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 9:13 PM

Bargello is beautiful, but a lot of work, and you already know how it is supposed to come out.  One of these days I want to do the one block wonder.    I have purchased several fabrics to use for that.  I think the most fun, is every combination of pieces is like getting a surprise.  I know when I start one, that will keep me at it.  Bargellos can become tedious.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,346 Posts
Points 241,972
Thea replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 9:23 PM

Bargellos are very exacting - they have to be perfect to work out - so if you are a perfectionist and have time and lots of patience then I say go for the Bargello - they are beautiful quilts.  I might start with a small table runner first to see if I liked making one though.  And make sure you have lots of pins - if you don't pin, you really have to - the seams have to exactly match for it to work.

One Block Wonder - wonderfully unique to each piece of fabric and many different ways to put together - easy peasy quilts that make you smile.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,127 Posts
Points 28,535

gini:

applique !!!   :  )

Oh bother!!

The is one in every crowd.  

I would do a one block wonder over a bargello any day.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,482 Posts
Points 24,725
Debbie replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 10:02 PM

Thea:

One Block Wonder - wonderfully unique to each piece of fabric and many different ways to put together - easy peasy quilts that make you smile.

OBW are so much fun because you don't know what it is going to look like till the end.  and unique, each block is one of a kind.  I don't know that I would say they are easy peasy, having done two of them but they definitely are rewarding. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940

I don't know what a one block wonder is.  So, I with Gini,   APPLIQUE!!!

Jane

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 10:47 PM

What a great way to think about the option.  I can see myself feeling the same way.  Quicker progress on the one block wonder would help me stay inspired.  Although I'm not having any trouble with that right now.  I'm excited to get home every day and sew on my current project.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,082 Posts
Points 16,565
weezee56 replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 11:11 PM

Jenia:
Bargello or One Block Wonder?
I would like to put a Bargello on my bucket list. I think they look great. I'm not ready to start something like that yet.

Top 500 Contributor
115 Posts
Points 2,475
Clare replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 5:08 AM

Both, do one then the other and then an applique one! I've done two Barellos & loved doing them, OBW is on my bucket list.

Clare xx

Top 100 Contributor
Female
704 Posts
Points 13,705

I've done one bargello and one OBW and love doing both!  Just started my second OBW a couple days ago.  Bargello is more difficult but I like a challenge.  I want my next one to be my own design, though.  Which do I like more?  I can't decide!

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use