Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,048
Points 13,240
Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine Posted: Thu, Mar 28 2013 8:58 AM

Someone had mentioned going to Goodwill and picking up a king size flat sheet for $2 to back one of their quilts. I thought it was a great idea so I went last night. OMG I found a very expensive king sheet but I really hit the jackpot!  They had just (that morning) received two giant bags of fabric. Some pieces were for garnet sewing, some home dec, some Walmart, some JoAnns, and some name brands like Moda. I bought almost everything they had for $1-$2 a piece. Some pieces were 1/2 yards but most were at least a yard. Several pieces were 4+ yards. There were only a couple that I would have actually purchased but who can turn down "essentially" free fabric!  Now that I'm appliquéing I'm looking at fabrics differently. Gini mentioned using plaids as a background for appliqué so I took the 3 yards of cotton plaid too!  LOL  What fun. I went in to look at a lamp my husband saw and came out with $75 in fabric, but no lamp. ROFTLMAO 

aka Grandma Sunshine

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,568
Points 136,685

Great find Maggie.  I've also found faric at Goodwill and other Thrift shops. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 5,910
Jenia replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 10:28 AM

I had heard this idea about buying sheets for quilt backings before.  We had a K-Mart that was closing, so when the discount was down to 80% off I went in and bought several new flat sheets both in king and queen size that I have in my stash now.  I don't have anything in particular in mind for them but for less than $10 each it can't hurt to just keep them in a drawer. 

The only one I have an idea for is the black king sateen sheet - I will likely use it for a version of the old necktie quilt I have in mind.  I have so many ties that several ideas will be put to test.

Bonus, however was I also got several extra pillow cases - each and every one of them have already been put to use.  We have 5 bedrooms in our house and I can never have enough pillow cases for all the extra beds.

I love shopping at thrift stores, it was your lucky day Maggie!  Usually the fabric gets bought up right away.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,689
Points 419,259
gini replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 10:38 AM

I also look for quilt tops in junk stores. Occasionally you will find an unfinished top for $20. They are great to practice quilting on and they make great picnic quilts.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,568
Points 136,685

gini:

I also look for quilt tops in junk stores. Occasionally you will find an unfinished top for $20. They are great to practice quilting on and they make great picnic quilts.

I hadn't thought of that Gini. I just saw about 20 pieced blocks at a local thrift store but didn't pick them up. Of course, I have so many orphan/seconds blocks, and even one "Ugh, I hate this" quilt top, that I probably have lots to practice on.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:07 PM

Our thrift shop gets in cutter quilts from time to tim,. $20-25 each, Depends on the wear. They are so great for throw pillow making. Or, to cut up for oven mitts. Got one once that way very, very old. On the back it had the old bedsprings design in rusty circles. I found the best piece and framed it. It hangs in our bedroom. Still have  one or two small scraps. The batting still had some cotton seeds in it. Now, that's old.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,568
Points 136,685

Goodwill auctions currently has a Singer Featherweight complete with case, accessories, book etc up for auction. Last time I looked it was up to $291. Auction closes on 3/29

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Vtg-50s-Singer-Portable-Sewing-Machine-221-1--12781058.html#des

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,775
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 12:16 PM

Judy

I didn't know that Goodwill has auctions.  

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,568
Points 136,685

Nana:

Judy

Yep, they have some amazing things.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,048
Points 13,240

Judy T-Bellingham:

Nana:

Judy

Yep, they have some amazing things.

Wow, I didn't know that either!  Thanks. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use