fabric pen washed out on label

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
151 Posts
Points 3,005
Sandy posted on Mon, Mar 25 2013 9:05 PM

Well...... I decided to wash a baby quilt I made for my grandson that will be 1 year old Saturday.. just wanted it clean so he can use it right away, I have cat helpers :) who shed .  And I am now putting labels on my quilt because I have been told that it is a good idea also my daughter wants it on here :) Sooo....  I took it out of the washer and the label is very light, so I checked the pen I used it is for quilt labels brand "Collin"  but this is on flannel is that making it do that?  I hope the other quilts I have given away when washed did not do this. (I will follow up and ask)   I am going to go over the writing once it is dry but bummer :(   

what should I do differently?  is there a better brand of pen to use?  do you use a fabric pen or do you embroidery? 

Thanks for any helps

Sandy

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,299 Posts
Points 45,925
Angele replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 9:25 PM

Sandy, did you heat set the ink before you washed it? Usually in order to make the inks permanent, they need to be heat set.  I use a permanent fabric pen, I just don't remember the brand, but I do heat set it.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
151 Posts
Points 3,005
Sandy replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 9:33 PM

Yes, I did heat set it... and it has been finished for a month so it had time too.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,490
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 10:48 PM

i use pigma pens and haven't had a problem

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use