Top 10 Posters

Quilting suggestions for a Jelly Roll strip quilt.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 140
Deanna Miller posted on Sat, Mar 23 2013 2:33 PM

Hi everyone.  I hope that you are having a creative weekend.  I have just layered and basted a Jelly Roll (Race) strip quilt and would like some ideas and/or pictures on how to quilt it.  I had thought about stitch in the ditch for each row or just some type of pattern in each strip.  I also wondered if a zig zag on each seam of each strip would be appropriate.  I have been quilting for almost a year and welcome any and all suggestions.  Thanks you so much.

Deanna

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
709 Posts
Points 13,830

How about something curvy to contrast with the piecing? Maybe an all over meander? 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 140

Hi Carol, thank you for replying.  Yes, I thought about something curvy in each strip.  The meandering is what I am most comfortable with but I wondered if it would alter the strip effect.  I just keep looking at my sandwiched quilt that is saying "Quilt me" but I just cannot decide.  The other thing is the fact that I used a solid backside which I have never done.  I usually use a print.

Deanna

Top 100 Contributor
Female
709 Posts
Points 13,830

Your strip effect shouldn't be altered with the meandering, especially if the meander is large. I think it depends a lot on the thread you use - color and weight. But if you want to emphasize the strips, maybe stick with quilting them individually. Whatever you like is what's best!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,830 Posts
Points 31,860
Roxana replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 11:24 PM

Another thought is a serpentine stitch. I've used it lots with Jelly Roll quilts. as for the solid back, use a variegated threads or blend able thread. Another quilting effect for the top would be a cross- hatch if that's how you say it, either would lNot take away from your Jelly Roll. I use the blend able threads with Jelly Rolls all the time.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use