Mitering Binding...HELP

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 140
Deanna Miller posted on Fri, Mar 15 2013 9:51 PM

Tomorrow is World Quilting Day. I have been quilting for about a year since having to go on disability from being an RN for 25 years. I love my new art, however; if someone does not give me tips for perfect mitered binding I am going to give-up. I have watched videos, practiced and you name it. When I turn the binding over to the back side, the mitered corned just aren't right. It seem as if a 1/4 inch seam allowance is not enough. PLEASE HELP. Thank you so much.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,186 Posts
Points 15,875
Susan replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 10:09 PM

Welcome, Deanna! What size binding are you using? I use 21/2 to 3' depending on the fabric. Also , you can sew your binding on the back and turn to the front and maybe if you can see the corner it will be easier for you. I f you iron the binding  down flat around the quilt it is easier to sew those corners. That was a tip from another quilter here at QCA.Are you using your machine or hand sewing??? Hand sewing the binding is easier for me, to sew those mitered corners.  Don.t give up!!! It takes practice, practice and practice.  Im sure others here can give you some tips and good advice to help you out.  Good Luck!   Susan

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 10:15 PM

I like the Martelli Minute Miters to help me make crisp miters.  Here is a link to their website.

Martelli

They sell them as part of their zip bind system, but you can purchase them alone, too.  Amazon has a good price on them.

I do cut a wider binding strip than most.  I cut it at 3 inches, fold and press, and attach with a 3/8 inch seam.

Maybe you could post a picture of the troublespot on your mitered corners in case someone can see something specific to suggest.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 140

Hi Susan, I use a 2 1/2 inch binding and sew on my machine.  I will use your suggestions and continue trying.  Deep breath.  Thanks for replying.

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 140

Thank you Nancy.  I am going to continue to work on these and not give up.  I like that Minute Miter and hope that it is easy to use.  Again, thanks for your tips.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,341 Posts
Points 414,694
gini replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 10:33 PM

deanna, i had the same problem.  i was watching a video one day and something clicked.   i'm from the "if a little bit is good a whole lot is better" train of thought.    i was leaving the fold, the one you do at the corner with a 45 degree angle, at or above the top edge of the quilt.   the spokesperson said to make sure you don't leave it above the edge of the quilt, and just a smidge below the edge is better.  well, duh, it is the little details like this that i miss.  now my mitres look tons better.   before they were kity corner angled.    i hope this helps you.  

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,732 Posts
Points 30,005
Roxana replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 2:44 PM

If you are a Premium Member and have gone through the steps for QNN.tv, Patrick Lose shows a great technique for mitering the corners. Just thought I would share. I'm watching it now and it's very interesting. Of course, I have to keep rewinding to catch all he says!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,732 Posts
Points 30,005
Roxana replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 3:09 PM

Here's the link tonhis video. it's really good.

http://www.qnntv.com/videos/0027_binding-with-patrick-lose/

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 140

I watched the video and it was very helpful.  I also utilized a lot of ironing of the binding that I just completed and it really helped a lot.  Thanks to everyone for your helpful hints.  Practice, practice, practice is the key to success.

Deanna

Top 50 Contributor
2,653 Posts
Points 37,370
ls2116 replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 5:33 PM

I had trouble with mitered borders an watched a fons and porter video and it helped.  I think its under how to videos.  Have fun quilting!

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Great video, Roxana!  Thanks for pointing that one out.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 115

Hi, I am very new to this and was having alot of trouble.  I found a tutorial on Missouri Star Quilt Company that helped but my favorite is http://craftygemini.blogspot.com/  . I have only used the warm and white batting.  I cut 2 and a quarter strips.  This has worked the best for me.  Don't give up though, you will figure it out.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use