rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 165
Kay Stewart Posted: Fri, Mar 15 2013 3:50 PM

Hello Everyone!

My name is Kay, and I am very interested in learning to quilt. I do know how to sew and cross stitch, but it has been years since I have done either. My mother-in-law has agreed to teach me to quilt, so I am excited to get started. 

Do you recommend that I purchase a kit to begin, or buy a piece of fabric printed in blocks? Also, can my regular sewing machine (Kenmore) be adapted for quilting? It was purchased in 1983.

Thank you so much!

Kay

from beautiful Hartsville, SC

• | Post Points: 110
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,497
Points 30,470
Diana replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 4:00 PM

Hi Kay and Welcome.

You're Kenmore should do fine for quilting.  As long it sews a straight line and you can change length of the stitch, you have it made.  We enjoy sharing our love of quilting so if you have questions, just ask away.  There is always someone who knows the answers.

I would try an easy quilt kit to start.  Don't try something too difficult that you won't finish it and get frustrated.  Quilting should be fun and relaxing.  You may want to start with placemats, wall hanging or table runner to start.  Get the basics down pat before trying to make a king size quilt......lol

Diana in East Tn. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,277
Points 173,343
Marie replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 4:21 PM

Hi Kay, welcome and enjoy!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 4:49 PM

Hi Kay, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 5:29 PM

scgirl611:
Do you recommend that I purchase a kit to begin

I'm not sure a kit is the best way for a beginner.  If you make a mistake in your cutting, there may not be enough fabric to re-do.  I'd recommend finding a nice easy beginner pattern and then asking your mother-in-law or local quilt shop assistant to give you your first lesson on selecting fabrics right there at the store.  Purchase a little extra fabric, and the left-overs can go into your stash!

Happy quilting!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,465
Points 362,017
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 6:31 PM

Welcome Kay.

I agree with Nancy on the kit; too restricting.

Find a pattern you like that will hold your interest. Use fabrics you like looking it so you don't get sick of them. Some beginners wade in shallow waters and some jump off the deep end. Choose a difficulty level that suits your personality.

No matter what you decide have fun with it and let us know how you're doing.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,909
gini replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 8:39 PM

hi kay, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,188
Points 15,900
Susan replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 9:34 PM

scgirl611:
Do you recommend that I purchase a kit to begin,
                             Welcome, Kay!  I agree with Nancy , no kit!  Something simple and small to start with so you can get to do the cutting ,piecing , sandwiching, and binding  all  in a few or less lessons. It is addicting and so very interesting and fun. It sounds like you have a good MIL. I wish I had quilted with mine, I could have learned so much from her and shared a common interest, too. Good Luck, and be sure to show us some pics of your progress.   Susan, North, Florida

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 165

Thank you so much for the advice...I think I will save the kit until I have some experience under my belt. And, you are right...I do have a wonderful MIL. I am looking forward to working on this project with her. I want to make a lap quilt for my own mother who is in a nursing home; however, I may start with a placemat as you suggested to get my feet wet. I will post pics of my first completed project, so you can see what kind of teacher my MIL is. Lol!

Kay

from beautiful Hartsville, SC

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 12:19 AM

Kay, welcome to the club, sounds like you have a great MIL , Hope you will enjoy your time with us. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,560
ls2116 replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 6:32 AM

Hi Kay and welcome!  If your MIL is anything like me she has stacks of everything you'll need and may have already preplanned your first project.  So I would connect with her and ask.  To me those are the threads that bind the quilt full communication start to finish.  good luck with your first project.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,406
Points 19,540

Welcome Kay,

You will love it here and you will get plenty of help and encouragement from everyone on this site. You are so lucky to have someone to show you about quilting and to be your built in quilting buddy. Some of us have had to learn from books and help from everyone on this site. Can't wait to see some pictures.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,119
Points 14,425
Dawn replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 11:47 AM

Great to meet you Kay!  Enjoy!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 6:23 AM

My first quilts were all done on a kenmore.   My first quilt was a lap quilt. I started with a small wall hanging, but never did get that done.  Your MIL will be a great help.   Remember to take pictures of all your projects.  Then you can look back and see how quickly you progress.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 5:07 PM

Kay

Doing an easy pattern in a lap quilt size would not be difficult.  If you use a pattern such as brick road or rail fence or even a Turning Twenty pattern that uses 20 fat quarters you will have lots of fun and have an easy pattern to get you started.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use