jelly roll log cabin

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 350
Ardis posted on Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:00 AM

I have been searching for a pattern using jellies without success. I did find one, but it also had start with it. I have several bundles of jellies and would really like to have guidance with the layout. None of the magazines I have for jellies have log cabins. Help!!!!

Thanks in advance!!

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,337 Posts
Points 414,644
gini replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 12:09 PM

ardis, it is hard to help with a log cabin, because the color choices are pretty personal.    you separate the light and dark fabrics or if you are using two colors, for instance you would separate the yellow and blues.    you start with a center block, i would use 2 1/2 inch square because your strips are tw and 1/2 inches.  then you start your rounds.   the first two logs will be light,  the second two will be dark, the next two will be light, the next two will be dark, continue until you get the size block you want.  

you can start with the dark and do the light second.  if you are doing two colors do the first two logs in one color and the second two in the other color, and continue around.  

is this what you are asking help with?  you can also just put the logs randomly, but you won't end up with the light/dark layouts to play with.   

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,337 Posts
Points 414,644
gini replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 12:13 PM

i graduate thte colors on the way out.   lighter next to the center square and getting darker on the subsequent rounds. 

i don't know how else to help you, can you post the strips laid out?

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,731 Posts
Points 29,955
Roxana replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 12:26 PM

Ardis, the only log cabin I have done was from Pam & Nicky Lintott's book Jelly Roll Quilts. It had stars in it but I think that was to get enough yardage to make the blocks work. I used up almost ALL of the jelly roll so I think to make one without the stars, you'd have to have TWO of the same jelly rolls. My quilt turned out great or at least in the eyes of my son who received it for Christmas.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use