Top 10 Posters

Thimbles

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940
Jane Seybold posted on Wed, Mar 13 2013 10:08 PM

I am in the market for a thumb thimble for hand quilting.  I'm looking at Thimblelady's and Ted Storm's Thumb Thimble.  Does anyone have any experience with either? How about T. J. Lane's thimbles?  I need a silver thimble because of allergies.

I have an urge to try using my Grace Z44 floor frame again so I need to get better at thumb quilting.  I have a Roxanne thimble I bought for my thumb, but my hands are large so the thimble is huge and awkward to use.  I thought that since Thimblelady's and Ted's thimbles have an open end they might not be so cumbersome.

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Female
341 Posts
Points 6,735

I use a leather thimble from ceratech called the skin thimble...I could never get used to a metal thimble and grating of the needle on the metal really irritated me. I found the skin thimbles online oneday by chance...they come in many versions, the one I like the best has a plastic shield inside that wraps around your fingertip. You can find these online at some quilt shops but you won't find the best assortment unless you go to the manufaturer's website CERATECH.com . Obviously being very soft leather they do wear out but the cool thing is that as one side wears out you can flip it over and use the other side. They have one with a metal insert too but it does not wrap around over your finger tip...give it a look....I have used them for years now and believe me I have tried everything on the market...these are the greatest. Hope this helps you!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
1,496 Posts
Points 30,450
Diana replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 10:18 AM

I have a T.J.Lane sterling silver thimble and love it.  If you can go to where they are selling them (I bought mine at the Pigeon Forge quilt show 2 or 3 years ago) they will fit it right to the finger you are wanting to wear it on.  If you have a knuckle or callous that has to be accommodated, they will fit it to that.  I saw them again at the same show and they said they can be altered and are guaranteed.  I have a nickle allergy and these don't botther that.  Hope this helps you out.

Diana in East Tn. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
436 Posts
Points 7,025
Answered (Not Verified) Julienne replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 10:37 AM
Suggested by Elaine Phillips

I have never got use to using a thimble, they seem to always get in my way and never ever fit my fingers. Always slipping off etc. I have very tiny fingers so I now have a very pretty collection of thimbles that just sit in a box.

Julienne

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,406 Posts
Points 19,540

Hi Julienne. You might consider sellomg them on Ebay or a garage sale. Unfortunately, I think you have to actually use before you know whether you like them or not. I personally like the little ones that stick on your finger.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,337 Posts
Points 414,644
gini replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 6:21 PM

i like the little bright colored plastic ones with the metal ends., they stick well on my fingers.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,472 Posts
Points 24,135

gini:
i like the little bright colored plastic ones with the metal ends., they stick well on my fingers.

Gini, I just recently found those and I like them, too. Mine is pink. I haven't tried one on my thumb, but I am quilting on that Wild West quilt that I showed at retreat and I could sure use one on my thumb. I don't know if I could quilt with one on my thumb, but it would sure be handy to be able to quilt with both finger and thumb.

Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940

Thanks ladies.   I went to Jinny Beyer's studio a few days ago and bought a T. J. Lane.   It's light weight with good dimples, and I think I'm going to like it.  It felt so nice that I bought another one for my quilting finger.  I think I can handle the needle with both thimbles on.  I practiced thumb quilting but  I'm going to need a lot more practice.  Anyway, anxious to finish my current project so I can set up my frame and give it another try.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
436 Posts
Points 7,025

I had posted earlier that I could not find any that would work on my fingers. I had not heard of this plastic ones until now. I will have to find these and see if these will work on my fingers. Thanks for the information. ~ Julienne

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 1:51 PM

Julienne

They are actually almost a rubber with a metal tip.   Once you put it on it sort of adheres to your finger and feels great.  I love mine.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
211 Posts
Points 2,780
Flo replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 3:38 PM

I have an open thimble from Clover that I love so much I wore it out. But sadly is is not silver.

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

Hi Jane

I'm a huge fan of Ted Storm's Thumb Thimble.  I've quilted my Dear Jane with a combination of the thumb thimble, Roxanne's beautiful silver hand quilting thimble along with a porcelain thimble for underneath which I changed for the underside of a teaspoon when I dropped the porcelain thimble on the floor and it broke into a million pieces.  With a combination of these thimbles I was easily able to quilt in every direction.  The thumb thimble is one size fits all but the Roxanne thimble should be the correct size for your finger.  Silver is a lovely metal to work with - it gets warm and soft, I could quilt for hours without getting sweaty fingers. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,251 Posts
Points 28,340
Agnes replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 9:10 AM

gini:

Many years and many thimbles later I actually use the Clover thimble unlike all the others stashed away and there are many different types. I live in dread of losing it so think I need to buy a back up one, just in case. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,251 Posts
Points 28,340
Agnes replied on Sat, Aug 24 2013 8:03 PM

I see I wasn't very clear in my answer. I was referring to the Clover thimbles like Gini described. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use