Needles

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 155
Cindy posted on Wed, Mar 13 2013 3:52 PM

I have a new Singer Confidence Quilter machine. I just broke two needles using thread my mother-in-law gave me which must have been very old. It caught on the spool and one would think after breaking the first needle I would have thrown the spool away, but noooo, I'm cheap and all about saving a buck, so I kept right on sewing.

My question is what size needles do you recommend? I've sewn for years and not broke needles .Fortunately the machine came with extras. I'm using (the second)  90/14. is this what I should be buying?

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,337 Posts
Points 414,644
gini replied on Wed, Mar 13 2013 7:30 PM

cindy, the size needle you use depends on the task you are doing.

for piecing i use a 10 or 12 with auriful thread, 50 wt., if i am using new thread;   but sometimes i use what ever is in the machine or that i can find. 

for quilting, it depends on the size of the thread,  it depends on the closeness on the stitches, it depends on the effect you want.  

use a sharp needle.   i was told that universal needles are good for everything and good for nothing.    meaning they can be used for any project but they are not a good choice.

since i have switched to sharp needles most of my problems with quilting and piecing have gone away.   

it sounds like in your case the thread is the issue.   

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use