Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy Posted: Tue, Mar 12 2013 9:47 PM

I just invested in a embroidery machine. A Janome 530E.  Don't know if I should have but I did.  In the process of reading the book and wondering quietly if I can do this. I know it will take practice and a lot of it.  I'm not one who could sit and stitch, but, I truly like the way the designs look in some quilts I've seen.

Does anyone have some pointers for me?  There really isn't anyone I can ask here, unless I drive a hundred miles.  Looking forward to some input!  Thanks ladies!

Happy Quilting!

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 540

Don't have any pointers for you, as I am in the process myself in looking at an embroidery machine, but haven't made the commitment yet like  you. So will keep looking here, as I know there will be alot of advice for you by others.  Congrats on your new purchase, and have fun with it. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 12 2013 10:19 PM

Tammy

Just pick a couple of designs and start playing with them.  You will find that it is really easy once you learn the set up on your machine and lots of fun.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 49
Points 595

My primary pointer is to jump in and get started and try not to put it aside for a lengthy time...at least do some small projects off and on so you remember how to do thing things you enjoy with your embroidery machine. This is the voice of experience speaking here: I learned the basics and was very excited at first, but I let the everyday issues in my life keep me from practicing the embroidery...was just using my Bernina 730E for sewing...now, I am having to do a major relearn to do some very special projects I want to complete for my grandchildren.

You can do it! You will be so proud of your projects and become excited about the possibilities for your sewing and your quilting.

Now that I am back to using my machine's embroidery features, I have made within a period of 1 1/2 weeks two t-shirts for "Big Brother" and "Big Sister" who have a new baby sister (3-4); a a "Big Sister" jumper, a "Big Brother" hoodie, an embroidered double-sided flannel receiving blanket embroidered with the new baby's name encircled by a design--(a second is in progress today) and other sewing, not embroidery. However, I designed hoodies for my other grandsons who saw the first one and asked for their own, and I plan to make these over the coming week. I also am making baby crib shoes with birthday embroidered on the soles.

My current quilt project is a toddler quilt (big trucks) for one of my grandsons...I hope to use my embroidery machine to make the label for his quilt...also doing labels for two other toddler quilts and one baby quilts (works currently in progress). I am listing my projects to give you some ideas of easy beginning projects you may want to consider.

Practice items include motifs sewn onto table linens such as napkins and bread cloths or guest towels. Simple quick designs give you lots of practice.

Have fun learning how to use your Janome 530E!

Susie from Indy

Susie from Indy

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Wed, Mar 13 2013 4:23 PM

Thanks for all the insight!  I just have to program myself to NOT be intimidated with the machine.  Will start playing as soon as I get this baby quilt done for grand #9 due at the end of this month!   

Thanks everyone! 

Happy Quilting!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use