Top 10 Posters

quilting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55
pati.beck@yahoo.com posted on Tue, Mar 12 2013 2:04 PM

I have finished a quilt that has hand embroidery work in eight squares surrounded by pieced blocks.....I am new at machine quilting and am not sure how much quilting if any do you do in the embroideried blocks...do you stitch around the embroidery work and then do a background fill?  so many questions ....I also have three red work quilts that I will be finishing and do not know about the quilting in them....Would love to hear how others have finished their quilts.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 155
Cindy replied on Tue, Mar 12 2013 4:10 PM

I am working on a quilt that sounds similar and I outlined the applique and then did stitch in the ditch around the border of the appliqued square. I think filling in the area would not highlight the applique enough. Then I echo quilted my squares but you could stipple.

I'm pretty new at machine quilting so this isn't "expert" advice...just my opinion.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,725 Posts
Points 364,632
Kris replied on Tue, Mar 12 2013 6:22 PM

Pati,

I recently completed a red work quilt. I filled the background with stippling and stitched around the embroidery. It worked it great.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 60

Myst be beautiful, is there a picture uploaded?  I would love to see it  :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,725 Posts
Points 364,632
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 13 2013 2:28 AM

Willow,

it's in my blog. Click here.

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55

Thank you....I also have the quilt you did to finish....seems I love the hand work because it can go with me but finding time at the machine to finish the quilts has been a problem...this is my year to finish 8 quilts all with either hand embroidery or applique...but then being new to longarm quilting I find myself almost having a panic attack trying to decide how to quilt them.   I appreciate seeing yours..Pati

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,402 Posts
Points 415,599
gini replied on Wed, Mar 13 2013 8:02 PM

hi pati, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use