Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,098
Points 24,750
Agnes replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 11:17 AM

Something I learned right at the beginning was to lay out the fabrics as shown in the first photo. Leave them and glance at them from a distance different times of the day, different light scenes. Don't make any decisions until the following day. I also use the black and white photo all the time. Those two tricks have saved me from a lot of boring or muddy quilts. After all, quilts are art and they are best viewed from a distance. I like the final four swatches, nice contrast and variety of pattern, even if it is subtle on most.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 11:18 AM

kristin, yellow/mustard is in a class all of its own.   what ever colors you have in your quilt, the yellow will always stand out.  so there is no problem with the low contrast you see in the black and white  between the cream and mustard. 

dark colors recede into the background and light colors including yellows all come forward. 

cool colors recede, blues- some purples and greens;    and hot colors come forward- reds and yellows. depending how much yellow and red is in the green and purple they can come forward. 

so your red will work, it was a hot color next to your blue and green.  you just needed a bit more difference in you green and blue. a lighter blue would work so you could get all your colors in.  and it doesn't have to be light blue, just lighter than the green. 

i hope this all hasn't confused you.  it is hard working with color.  a lot of quilters won't touch yellow because they get a quilt made and all they  see is yellow. a touch of it here and there works fine, and depending on the colors it is mixed with a lot of yellow can work too. 

elaine is taking a color study year-long class that looked very interesting.   i forgot to get the name of the book  she is  using. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,822
Points 352,462
Kris replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 11:34 AM

Kristin (KAlbrecht):

So if the Red and Blue are the same value, I should take one out, right?

Then what do I do about the mustard and the small floral?  Aren't those also the same value?

Your help is very much appreciated.  THANK YOU.  I'm learning something today.

In this selection the cream and mustard are both light but, when compared to each other, the mustard is darker than the cream. It has grey undertones. I believe this is true for the newer swatches as well. I think you can use the original colours if you find different shades/tints.

In the end use what's pleasing to your eyes. I agree with Agnes on viewing from a distance in natural light.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,822
Points 352,462
Kris replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 11:38 AM

Gini must have posted as I was composing. I like her post. We tend to forget colour when thinking of contrast. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380

I never really understood color value/contrast stuff before.  Now that you all have explained it, it's making sense to me.

I just started quilting about (after about a 20 year hiatus) and have been working with kits.  The RR I'm doing, and now trying to pick out colors myself are all "new" to me.  I'm making a "Love Minnesota" quilt for my DH but most of the colors in it were part of the Quilt Minnesota 2012 line so I didn't have to do much interviewing of colors there and what I did experiment with had to be pleasing to my DH eyes since he's color blind anyway.

Thanks everybody for the lessons in color!  I'll be sure to post pictures as the quilt is taking shape this weekend.

Kristin Lee WICKMAN Albrecht  

(I'm a WICKMAN . . . Don't let anybody tell you any different)

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use