Top 10 Posters

Have you ever made a quilt for someone just because you wanted to, but others said you should not?

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 10,135
zoetc49 Posted: Thu, Mar 7 2013 11:33 PM

hi all, I was just wondering in this quilt world if any of you have made a quilt for someone that you liked, your not expecting anything in return, but you just wanted to make one? I made one for a guy I like and I know he likes me as a friend and that is all I want - now...I learned way too much about him to want more. But I went on and made a quilt for him that I plan to give him for Christmas. My friends are telling me He does not deserve it, but I made it for him with all of his likes.

Have you ever done this? Am I just a crazy quilter?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 8:46 AM

Yes, but usually only if that person is facing a difficult time.  (but by the rate I get them done, the difficult time has passed.)  And only if I thought that person would appreciate it.  Some people don't.   Just be cautious that the gift is not misunderstood, and a person  who is thought of by others as not deserving it, would be more likely to misunderstand. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,687
Points 29,115
Roxana replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:29 AM

I agree with Patti. I've found that after making such a quilt that's so personal and then deciding for good reason not to give it to them that the best place to give it to is a charity. Lots of charities want the warmth a quilt can bring. My advice is to listen to your friends. They know you and the recipient best. Hope this helps.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 10,135
zoetc49 replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:46 AM

I am listening...

I have been friends with this guy for years and i have made other things for him and he really did like them. I figured that if he did not like it, his son would take it...which is fine by me. Somehow, I have not felt like it was "I" that was making it for him, I have felt that he needs this for other reasons that I don't understand. I have done things for others in the past for the same reason and only later did I learn that "I" was only the inbeween person....don't worry, I don't understand me either...lol 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,105
Points 109,540
chocake2 replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 11:21 AM

Yes, I have made a quilt for someone for no other reason then I wanted (needed) to do it and I have been cautioned against it. No ill came of it, despite the protests of my "protectors."  I don't really know if my work was truely appreciated or not, but what the heck, I enjoyed making it.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,289
Points 413,934
gini replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 12:40 PM

Yep, all the time.   And if I walk into someone's house, and I have a quilt that would be perfect for it, I give it away.  Sometimes the quilts tell me where they want to live.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 12,375

It is never wrong or crazy to do something nice for someone. Everyone deserves others to be kind to them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 10,135
zoetc49 replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 1:07 PM

Thank you for that, I know he will like it and I don't think there will be any emotion's attached to it for him. He will be like, "Neat blanket"...that is a guy for ya....lol

I will say that I made one for my nephew with the same design, but different fabric and he is always telling me how much he loves his quilt.  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 48
Points 760
Valerie replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:11 PM

Hi,

I think it is a wonderful gift for any friend. besides I think friends appreciate the fact that it is homemade more than other people. besides the only ones who have a opinion that counts are You and your friend.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:20 PM

zoetc49:
Somehow, I have not felt like it was "I" that was making it for him, I have felt that he needs this for other reasons that I don't understand. I have done things for others in the past for the same reason and only later did I learn that "I" was only the inbeween person....don't worry, I don't understand me either...lol 

Now this is a good reason to make the quilt.  It is amazing how an act of kindness can change an "undeserving" person's path.   That is something that may only be evident years from now.   I remember a "for better or worse" comic strip, the mother stopped to check on her misbehaving son at bed time.  He asked where his good night hug was, she said his behavior had been so bad that day, she didn't know if she should give him one.  His response was "but that's when I need it most."

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 10,135
zoetc49 replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:48 PM

That is neat. Thanks, and also thanks to the other posters I did not respond personaly to.   

Many years ago I had a friend that passed away. I had the feeling that I needed to make his widow wife a stain-glass. I went to the store and told them that I needed a hand holding a tobacco pipe. The guy told me he needed for me to find a pattern of a hand holding a pipe. I went to the library and looked. The only one I could find was a Sherlock Holm's book that had him holding a very pronounced pipe. I told the guy my friend never had one like that before. He said well, since that is what you recall most it is good to emphasize this. I agreed. The price was $300.00 for this 12 " circle. He made this and it turned out so nice. I took it to the home of the widow and left it on the porch. I got a call two weeks later. She said to me that she could not get over that. I was thinking that she was thinking how pretty it was. She said, did you know that he always gave me a stain glass for my birthday? I said no..... Then she said, he had never smoked a pipe like that in his life, until  his mom gave him one two weeks before he died.  Oh, my friend passed away a week before 911, his skin was donated and some of it might have gone to help the victims of the attacks.

This is why I don't question " following my heart" ...there is something more at play here.

This guy this quilt is for  is recently divorced, the second time around and he is a very successful businessman owning 4 business, but he seems to lack expressing himself well. That is where I come around. I am a very emotionally expressive person and I get him to open up.  We will only be friends, but friends are wonderful to have and often last longer than many marriages- these days.    

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:55 PM

it is the unexpected gifts that I have received that I treasure the most.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 11:06 PM

A couple years after my husband died, I started reaching out to give to others, as others had reached out to me.   I remember the day I called a woman at work to go out to lunch,  she had recently lost a child during child birth.  She had something else scheduled.  So I called another woman at work who had lost her husband about a month previously.  I didn't know her well, as she worked in a different department.  She accepted.  We had a wonderful lunch, and she told me so much about her husband and how he died unexpectedly.  I guess she felt she could talk to me as she new my husband had died in an accident a couple years before.  At the end of lunch she told me how much it meant to her, that it was their wedding anniversary that day, and she didn't know how she was going to get through it.  I have only run into her a couple times since then, but we both remember that day.  It is as if the lunch had been hosted by someone bigger than us, and we had been His guests.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 10,135
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 1:39 AM

Wow, that put chills down my arms.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 4:29 PM

Patti:
but we both remember that day.  It is as if the lunch had been hosted by someone bigger than us, and we had been His guests.

Sweet story, Patti!

Having been the recipient of an unexpected quilt, I have to say it's an awesome feeling to get one!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use