Page 7 of 7 (102 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 101 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 10:10 AM

It's snowing!  about an inch so far, and looks like a lot more to come.  It squeaks when you walk in it and it packs real nice.  Not dry, but before I have only used the snow that's already become icy, so I will experiment with this today. 

Donna, Marge, you must have new snow too.  I think I will try dying the snow and packing the colored snow on.  Better make sure my dye solution is cold.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 11:27 AM

Here it is.  Snow melted fast.  Used 2 colors: tropical green and light blue.  It's interesting that when you mix colors, not only does one mix with the other, but those colors that went into making the one sometimes separates to form yet another color.  At  least that is what I think happens.  I'll post the result separately so I can explain them.  

First one I lightly twisted the fabric and then alternated colors.  The tropical green did not mix well, and stay separated, and after done I found a 1/4 inch hard residue on the bottom of the jar.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 11:30 AM

This was simply a scrunch one.   With dyed snow packed on top. (the first one also dyed the snow and put it on the fabric)  The snow was not very deep for either one and the dye was pretty concentrated.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 11:38 AM

Now this one is accidental.   While doing number 2 I knocked over the jar of blue dye, loosing most of it, on a hard surface (DH's pick-up box that was on the ground off the pick-up).   So grabbed the last piece of fabric and started wiping it up.  Then wiped up some other spots, stuffed it in the blue jar, and dumped the rest of the green on top.  Not all the fabric fit in the jar.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 11:42 AM

Patti -  both of these are really attractive.  I know what you mean about a color coming from nowhere - the two blues I dyed definitely had brown areas scattered around in the piece.  So much fun to not know what is going to show up.

We only had about an inch of snow and Donna is still in Oregon so no dyeing from the Methow. :-(  DH told me I could go down and scrape off snow that was on a wooden wagon bed but I declined.  

A lot of my pieces are 1/4 to 1/3 yard but I do have 35 in my collection.  Still looking at the Procion dyes for future use.

Marilyn (from Omak/Riverside) was up last week and oohed and aahed over the fabrics - they had lots of snow in Riverside this past winter and she is ready to learn how to snow dye fabrics. :-)

Great job!

Marge P

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 11:42 AM

i keep trying to figure out why it comes out darker sometimes, and lighter others.  Some day I will have to get more scientific with the snow dyeing, using different dilutions, amounts of snow, and watch the time it takes the snow to melt. I really want to try it with dyeing that really light dry snow.   I think that comes out with the best, deepest color.

I think some of the dye packets may be a little on the old side.  Not sure what effect that has. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 11:43 AM

Pretty nice "accident" Patti!   Are you using the pint jars for the immersion or have you gone to a bigger jar?

Marge P

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 11:45 AM

Next time I will have to use a larger jar or smaller piece of fabric. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 11:53 AM

So which one of y'all is gonna be the first to break away from commercial dyes and make thier own with plant material or natural minerals? I understand you can get some really neat colors with onion skins...  

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 12:02 PM

and some very, very brilliant ones from wild mushrooms.  

I've done flower pounding, think this summer I will play around with natural dyes.  Huckleberry blue, beet red?  Have to play around and see what holds up best.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 3:06 PM

WOW!  So much talent, all of you dying in the snow...you are truly amazing!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 5:58 AM

I missed quite a bit of the discussion but had to say I love all your pieces Patti. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Page 7 of 7 (102 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use