Top 10 Posters

Rotary Fabric Hole Punch

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 70
kathyapo posted on Thu, Feb 28 2013 8:46 PM

I am wondering if there is any kind of rotary fabric hole punch.  I would like to add a crochet border to a baby blanket.  I want to make holes along the edge.  Does anyone have a way to do this? 

Thank you for your help.

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940

I'm not aware of any such item.  I would think that if you punched a hole in your quilt the fabric would ravel.  Why not just crochet the edge or whatever you are planning to add and then stitch that to the quilt.  Just thought ... maybe you could take a large needle with a blunt end and push through the threads to make a hole.  This would eliminate cutting the fabric. 

Jane

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
23,825 Posts
Points 352,597
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 10:40 PM

You can do a round of blanket stitch on the edge of the blanket to act as a base for your crochet stitches (as is done in this project). This way you'll avoid holes that may fray laterin this project.

My friend adds crocheted edges to fleece blankets and she just pokes holes with pointy scissors, our you could use a paper hole puncher  or an eyelet punch.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,117 Posts
Points 411,044
gini replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 11:26 PM

They used to make little bone awls just for this purpose.   What kind of material are you using.  Will your crochet hook not go through it?  I don' think you would want a hole "punched"  into the fabric.  That would weaken it quite a bit.   Can you use something like a knitting needle to open up a space to fit your hook into?

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,530 Posts
Points 46,505

Is this what you're thinking of?  http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/45+mm+skip+cut+rotary+cutter+blade.do

I think it would work on felt or fleece.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,760 Posts
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 11:40 PM

error.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
2,576 Posts
Points 36,070

I would use awl or knitting needle.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
12,933 Posts
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 7:10 AM

If you are doing what I think you are doing...teehee... then  you just use your crochet hook or the awl to punch the hole in - but you make sure you are actually going through a fold over piece of fabric so that it doesn't ravel (if on regular cotton) - if on flannel - homespun - fleece - you just punch the hole and go - 

Kris' thoughts of doing the row of blanket stitch are great - you can add your corchet right to that thread - or crocheting the border and then sewing it down... 

All 3 ideas work - just have to decide on which way you want to go!   

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 70

Thank you everyone for your quick responses and great information.  I have taken Debbie's advice and ordered a punch from Nancy's Notions.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Kathy

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use