Page 1 of 42 (629 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 628 Replies | 20 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,430
Points 243,437
Thea Posted: Tue, Feb 2 2010 11:16 AM

Okay... from reading a couple posts about this some ideas have come to mind ... and I think this might be a possibility...

I think that the easiest way would be to have a challenge of a lap size quilt- made from what you consider to be the ugliest fabric in your stash - a piece of fabric that you  have had in your stash for at least a year - and we leave you on your honor for this... something that you bought and have looked at and looked at and just can't bring yourself to put it in one of your quilts...

So for those who do not have stashes - as although it is hard to believe we do have members who don't have stashes(the shame of it)...lol  you will go to the quilt store and look around and find the ugliest piece in your mind and buy a fat quarter of it.

I think we should make it a universal size block to start with - so that will be one of the rules - you have to all make the same size block...

I am just throwing out ideas here - so feel free to throw out some too and then I will compile the ideas into a group of rules for this contest and I will find an awesome prize for the winner...  i think we will have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes ... I will work on finding things for this.

So throw me your ideas... and lets set a date of say February 16th to put down the rules and vote on them - and then you will have 60 days to make what ever we decide... I am really leaning towards utilizing this in a small quilt such as lap quilt size... so we have them all the same...

So sound off  quilters - give me ideas!

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Since I've already written rules for our group, I will share them here.

1.       Fabric must appear in a recognizable form in your built block.

2.       Your finished block must measure 12 ½ by 12 ½.  This includes a ¼” seam allowance that will be used to finish the block.

3.       Additional fabrics may be added to complete your block.  All fabrics must be cotton.

4.       Cotton embroidery floss can be used for embellishment.

5.       Appliqué may be used.

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 11:55 AM

Patty

I think the rules you have set down are perfect.  Then we could do a top 50 x 50 or so.

My problem is that I don't have ugly fabric in my stash.  I only buy pretty fabric.....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Nana:

My problem is that I don't have ugly fabric in my stash.  I only buy pretty fabric.....LOL>

Come on girls -- I think we should send Nana some "Ugly Fabric"!

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:16 PM

Patty

I will be patiently waiting.....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,430
Points 243,437
Thea replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:25 PM

Okay we have some rules to utilize but we need some more - Pat's rules are for a block  - I want some more different inputs... I want something for us to vote on...

I think we should discuss block size too - since i am proposing a lap size quilt - and not a block - I think maybe this will be one of the things we will  have to discuss... 12 1/2" blocks are good for large quilts but may not work for a lap size quilt but again it will be in our voting process...

IDEAS  ladies - IDEAS 

#1 the fabric must appear in the quilt and other fabrics should be used but the ugly fabric should be noticeable

#2 - only a certain number of additional fabrics will be allowed

#3 - any form will be allowed - piecing/ paper piecing / applique / embroidery

#4 size - lap size quilt and it will have to be in finished form which means quilted and bound

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,430
Points 243,437
Thea replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:26 PM

And in Nana's case - she will have to photograph several fabrics and we will get to choose which of her "pretty" fabrics will be the ugly one that she will have to use...teeheee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:29 PM

Althea :

And in Nana's case - she will have to photograph several fabrics and we will get to choose which of her "pretty" fabrics will be the ugly one that she will have to use...teeheee

I refuse to believe I have ugly fabric.....ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,430
Points 243,437
Thea replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:46 PM

Well, Nana - if you can't find one we might have to ban your from the contest...lol ... i already have feelers out for prizes... so you might search real hard...lol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,430
Points 243,437
Thea replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:48 PM

We might too - have it as a rule that I will go buy fabric - what I think is an ugly fabric and send each person a fat quarter of it... you will be able to buy more of the fabric should you need it but you will have to use at least one fat quarter of the fabric in your quilt.

This could be a consideration... something to put into our vote! 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:52 PM

guys, just because my fabric isn't "pretty" doesn't mean i love it any less  : )      it would be funny to send out our ugly  fat quarters, though.    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,508
Points 30,675
Diana replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 12:53 PM

I love the idea, Thea....and I have lots of ugly fabrics to choose from.  12 1/2" blocks sound good too, but some can make 6 1/2" blocks and 4 of those would equal one 12 1/2" block.  That way you could still make it work putting them all together.  Just a thought.

Diana in East. Tn.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 1:03 PM

wouldn't it be fun if we each made an extra block and then sent them to one of us to put together so we could have all the ugly blocks in one quilt, too.   i volunteer to sew it together and bind it, if someone would like to quilt it.   then admin or liz could draw a name out of the hat and it would go to a proud owner?     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,430
Points 243,437
Thea replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 1:04 PM

gini - I will put this up for a vote - but I would rather to win the contest that each person make their own quilt and no passing of blocks anywhere - I have  found that too many times problems entail from that...with having to use 1 fat quarter of the ugly fabric in the quilt this would make them have to buy more of this fabric and they might not be able to get there hands on it ... unless we decide that I am sending a fat quarter to each person to use first... all up for votes...

so although this will be my contest and I am not participating - i will however put that up for a vote.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Tue, Feb 2 2010 1:07 PM

thea, just throwing ideas out there, they don't all have to work  gini

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 42 (629 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use